|Yara International ASA
|Oslo , Norway
|Svein Tore Holsether
|Number of employees
|NOK 95.34 billion (2014) EUR
Yara International is a Norwegian company with headquarters in Oslo . The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange in the OBX Index . 36% of the company is owned by the State of Norway and is managed by Nærings- og fiskeridepartementet .
Yara is a manufacturer and supplier of chemicals and industrial gases such as fertilizers , urea , nitrates and ammonia . The company was formed in 2004 by separating from Hydro Agri , a division of Norsk Hydro .
Around 13,000 people are employed internationally. In Germany, Yara operates a sales center in Dülmen , the former fertilizer plant in Poppendorf near Rostock and a plant for the production of ammonia and urea in the Yara plant in Brunsbüttel .
On December 2, 1905, Sam Eyde and Kristian Birkeland founded the company Birkeland Norsk Hydro in Notodden , where they produced the nitrogen fertilizer, calcium nitrate, using a process they had developed themselves . Just two years later, they opened a new production facility and began building a power and fertilizer plant in Rjukan . In 1919 they opened their first branch outside Norway in Copenhagen , which was followed by an office in Stockholm in 1945 and one in San Francisco in 1946 .
In 1928, with the construction of new plants in Porsgrunn, production was expanded and converted to the Haber-Bosch process . In 1949 the world's northernmost fertilizer plant was built in Glomfjord . In 1972 the company expanded its sales activities to Thailand and later other Asian countries. In 1973 they entered into a joint venture with the Qatar Fertilizer Company in Qatar . In 1977 the company opened its first office in Brazil. Numerous company takeovers followed in the next few years. a. in the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Germany (including Ruhr-nitrogen AG ) and the establishment of further offices in China, Zimbabwe and Trinidad. Over the years, this has led to our position as a global leader in the fertilizer business.
In 2003 Hydro Agri decided to go public. In the course of this process, it was decided to outsource the fertilizer division as an independent company under the name Yara . On March 25, 2004, Yara was listed on the stock exchange.
A cooperation agreement was announced with Nel ASA in August 2019. This is a fertilizer project for agriculture . NEL contributes its self-developed pressurized alkaline electrolyser, which uses an electric current to induce a chemical reaction, i.e. a material conversion, which is needed for fertilizer production. The focus is on developing efficient and environmentally friendly solutions for ammonia and fertilizer production together with Nel.
- Key figures 2014 on www.yara.com ( Memento of the original from March 2, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed June 13, 2015
- converted at the rate on December 31, 2014
- Nærings-og fiskeridepartementet: Selskaper. July 16, 2018, accessed September 23, 2019 (Norwegian).
- Nel ASA: Signs collaboration agreement with Yara related to green fertilizer project accessed on August 24, 2019
- Nel ASA: Cooperation with Yara International announced - work on emission-free fertilizer production, accessed on August 24, 2019