Štefan Füle (born May 24, 1962 in Sokolov ) is a Czech diplomat, former non-party minister for European affairs in the Fischer government . From 2010 to 2014 he was a member of the European Commission Barroso II .
Füle began studying at the Philosophical Faculty of Charles University in Prague in 1980 and switched to the State Institute for International Relations in Moscow in 1981 , where he graduated in 1986. From 1982 to 1989 he was a member of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia . In 1987 he entered the diplomatic service of Czechoslovakia , in 1988 he took part in the UN study program for disarmament.
From 1990 to 1995 Füle was the first secretary of the permanent representation of Czechoslovakia and from 1993 of the Czech Republic to the United Nations . On his return he was head of the “International Organizations” department in the Prague Foreign Ministry and was involved in the negotiations on the Czech Republic's accession to NATO . From 1998 to 2001 he was his country's ambassador to Lithuania and from 2003 to 2005 in Great Britain . In 2001 and 2002 he was the first deputy of the Defense Minister Jaroslav Tvrdík . From July 2005 he was permanent representative of the Czech Republic with the rank of ambassador to NATO.
From May 8 to November 30, 2009, Füle was Minister for European Affairs in Jan Fischer's government . On November 10th, 2009 he was nominated by the Czech government as EU Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy under José Manuel Barroso . He held the office from February 10, 2010 to October 31, 2014.
Štefan Füle is married and has two daughters and a son.
- Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas 3rd Class (2002)
- Cross of Merit of the Czech Defense Minister 1st Class (2002)
- Zlatá lípa (Golden Linden Leaf) award from the Czech Defense Minister (2008).
- Štefan Füle , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 39/2010 from September 28, 2010, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Štefan Füle působí takřka celý profesní život v diplomacii (Štefan Füle devotes his entire professional life to diplomacy) , České noviny, November 10, 2009, ČTK
- Andreas Borcholte: Entry bans: Russia accuses EU politicians of showing behavior. In: Spiegel Online. May 31, 2015, accessed June 1, 2015 .
- RUS: Russian Visa Blocking List. (PDF 23 KB) In: yle.fi. May 26, 2015, accessed June 1, 2015 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Czech diplomat, minister and member of the European Commission|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sokolov|