Jyrki Tapani Katainen (born October 14, 1971 in Siilinjärvi ) is a Finnish politician . From 2011 to 2014 he was the Prime Minister of Finland. In the Juncker Commission he has been a Vice-President responsible for employment, growth, investment and competitiveness since 2014.
Katainen has been a member of Siilinjärvi City Council since 1993. He was first elected as a member of the Finnish Parliament in 1999. From April 19, 2007 Katainen was Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime Minister in the cabinet of Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi . In the 2011 parliamentary elections , the rallying party won 20.4 percent of the vote under his leadership, making it the strongest force in parliament. On June 22, 2011, he was elected Prime Minister by Parliament.
At the beginning of April 2014, Katainen announced his resignation from both the office of prime minister and party chairman for June 2014, almost a year before the next parliamentary election. On June 24, 2014, Alexander Stubb was sworn in as Katainen's successor.
He has been married to Mervi Marika Katainen (nee Kuittinen) since 2003. The couple lives in Espoo near Helsinki and has two daughters, Saara (* 2005) and Veera (* 2008).
Katainen took over the office of EU Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs on June 25, 2014 from his liberal predecessor Olli Rehn , who won a seat in the EU Parliament for Finland as the top candidate for the Center Party in the EU parliamentary elections in 2014 and therefore did not take the position of an EU commissioner. Katainen was in office until the end of the term of office of the EU Commission Barroso II in October 2014. In his role as EU currency commissioner, Katainen warned in July 2014 against a weakening of the stability pact , for which France and Italy advocated, because in his opinion this is dangerous because the member states would evade the necessary pressure to reform. In the Juncker Commission , Katainen is the Commissioner for Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness.
- Official website of Jyrki Katainen
- Prime Minister's Page (Finnish, Swedish, English)
- Page about parliamentarian Jyrki Katainen (Finnish)
- ec.europa.eu website of the Vice President (English)
- Finnish Prime Minister resigns in summer . Salzburger Nachrichten , April 5, 2013
- Katainen will replace Rehn as EU currency commissioner until autumn . Reuters, June 25, 2014 (German) Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- wiwo.de June 25, 2014, accessed June 30, 2014.
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952 (PDF; 6.9 MB)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Katainen, Jyrki Tapani (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Finnish politician, member of the Reichstag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1971|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Siilinjärvi|