Aguazul on the map of Colombia
Location of the municipality of Aguazul on the map of Casanare
|surface||148 km 2|
|Population density||292 inhabitants / km 2|
|Waters||Río Cusiana , Río Únete , Río Charte|
|Time zone||UTC -5|
|City Presidency||Renier Darío Pachón (2016-2019)|
Aguazul is located at the junction of the Cordillera Oriental between the Andes and the Colombian Llanos , 27 km from Yopal , the capital of Casanare . The main town of the municipality is at an altitude of about 300 meters and has an average annual temperature of about 28 ° C. The entire municipality has an area of 148 km². The rivers Río Cusiana , Río Únete and Río Charte flow through the municipality . The municipality borders in the north on Pajarito in the Departamento de Boyacá and on Recetor in Casanare, in the south on Tauramena and Maní in Casanare, in the east on Yopal and in the west on Tauramena and Recetor.
The municipality of Aguazul has 43,183 inhabitants, of which 32,930 live in the urban part (cabecera municipal) of the municipality (as of 2019).
Even if today's Aguazul was only founded in 1954, the history of the municipality goes back further. Before the arrival of the Spaniards, the region was from the tribe of Achagua and Cusiana inhabited. For the Spaniards, the area was opened up in 1585 by Pedro Daza Mexia. The first city in the area of today's municipality was founded in 1588 under the name Santiago de las Atalayas , which gained a certain importance during the colonial era. After the economic decline of the region, the city was abandoned in 1778. A new city was founded nearby, called Zapatosa . Later, many of the settlers moved on and founded a settlement called Seville . This place was destroyed during La Violencia . The construction of today's Aguazul took place between 1948 and 1951 by settlers who had fled Seville . Aguazul received the status of a municipality in 1954.
- Alcaldía Municipal de Aguazul. Alcaldía de Aguazul - Casanare, accessed on June 5, 2019 (Spanish, website of the municipality of Aguazul).
- Geography. Alcaldía de Aguazul - Casanare, accessed June 5, 2019 (Spanish, information on the geography of the municipality).
- ESTIMACIONES DE POBLACIÓN 1985 - 2005 Y PROYECCIONES DE POBLACIÓN 2005 - 2020 TOTAL DEPARTAMENTAL POR ÁREA. DANE, May 11, 2011, accessed on June 5, 2019 (Spanish, extrapolation of the population of Colombia (Excel; 1.72 MB)).
- Historia. Alcaldía de Aguazul - Casanare, accessed June 5, 2019 (Spanish, information on the history of the municipality).
- Información general. Alcaldía de Aguazul - Casanare, accessed June 5, 2019 (Spanish, information on the municipality's economy).