Dirks was born as the eldest son of Paul Andreas Dirks (1835-1914) and Anna Louise Auguste Schaper (1840-1911). He had five younger siblings, two brothers and three sisters. His artistic training began with a visit to the Hamburg trade school . In 1885/1886 he studied with Eugen Dücker at the Düsseldorf Art Academy . From 1887 to 1893 he attended the Grand Ducal Saxon Art School in Weimar , where he studied with Leopold von Kalckreuth and Theodor Hagen . In 1889 he worked with college friends in Gothmund . In 1895 he settled in Düsseldorf. There he belonged to the artists' association Malkasten . Alexander Essfeld was a private student of Dirks . In 1916 Dirk became a professor. Every year he used to visit his home on Sylt, where he had a studio . He also made extensive trips to the United States . Dirks received several awards, in 1900 a small gold medal at the Great Berlin Art Exhibition , in 1907 a large gold medal in Vienna.
Initially preferring earthy tones for his pictures, he switched to a more colorful representation by 1900.
- Fishing port
- Boats on the quay
- West coast landscape
- Fishing boats off Sylt
- Munkmarschen harbor view on Sylt , 1922
- New acquisitions and pictures from the Sölring Foriining collection , with Albert Aereboe , Otto Eglau , Carl Christian Feddersen , CP Hansen , Richard Kaiser, Hugo Kätze , Franz Korwan , Ingo Kühl , Walther Kunau, Dieter Röttger , Siegward Sprotte , Helene Varges , Magnus Weidemann u. a., Sylter Heimatmuseum, Keitum / Sylt 2003.
- Dirks, Andreas . In: Ulrich Thieme (Hrsg.): General Lexicon of Fine Artists from Antiquity to the Present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 9 : Delaulne-Dubois . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1913, p. 327 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Ulrich Schulte-Wülwer : Andreas Dirks . In: Artist Island Sylt. Boyens, Heide 2005, ISBN 3-8042-1171-2 , pp. 102-105
- Prof. Andreas Dirks , data sheet of the Sylt family database , accessed on the online-ofb.de portal on June 22, 2015
- Rudolf Theilmann : The student lists of the landscape classes from Schirmer to Dücker . In: Wend von Kalnein (Ed.): The Düsseldorf School of Painting . Verlag Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1979, ISBN 3-8053-0409-9 , p. 147
- Heiko Jäckstein: Artists' Colony Gothmund, Research - Sources
- Inventory list , website in the malkasten.org portal , accessed on June 22, 2015
- Wilhelm Schäfer : Two Düsseldorf painters (Andreas Dirks and Wilhelm Schreuer) . In: Die Rheinlande , Heft 3, 1900, pp. 16–26 ( digitized version )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German landscape and marine painter from the Düsseldorf School|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 16, 1865|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tinnum on Sylt|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 24, 1922|
|Place of death||Dusseldorf|