Artur Samuel Cajetan Betz (born March 14, 1905 in Sächsisch-Regen , Austria-Hungary , † December 27, 1985 in Vienna ) was an Austrian ancient historian .
Artur Betz was the son of the Imperial and Royal Lieutenant Colonel Cajetan Johann Betz (1871-1926) and his wife Berta Regina Göllner (1873-1944). He grew up in Transylvania and came to Vienna after the end of the First World War . Betz studied ancient history, classical philology and archeology at the university there . After his doctorate as Dr. phil. (1935) and his habilitation (1939) he was appointed assistant at the Institute for Ancient History, Archeology and Epigraphy and taught as a university lecturer at the University of Vienna. From 1942 to 1943 he fought in World War II .
When his academic teacher Rudolf Egger was retired in 1945, Betz took his chair. In 1946 he was appointed associate professor for Roman history, and in 1948 he was appointed full professor and head of the institute. Even after his retirement (1975) he remained active in teaching and research. His students include Wilhelm Alzinger , Anton Bammer , Gerhard Dobesch , Robert Fleischer , Dieter Knibbe , Ambros Josef Pfiffig , Ekkehard Weber and Gerhard Winkler .
Betz was a corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the German Archaeological Institute as well as a real member of the Austrian Archaeological Institute . His research focus was the Roman history of Austria and the Balkan countries.
Artur Betz was married to the teacher Josefine Reihons from 1945. He was buried at the Vienna Central Cemetery .
- Studies on the military history of the Roman province of Dalmatia . Baden near Vienna 1939 (habilitation thesis, extended dissertation).
- From Austria's Roman past . Vienna 1956. New edition by Ekkehard Weber, Vienna 1990, ISBN 3-215-06562-2 .
- Entry on Artur Betz in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Epigraphica . Volume XLVII (1985), pp. 187-188; P. 489.
- Ekkehard Weber : Artur Betz 1905–1985 . In: Roman Austria . Volume XIII / XIV (1985-1986), pp. 379-381.
- Literature by and about Artur Betz in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ Grave site Artur Betz , Vienna, Zentralfriedhof, Group 80, Row 31, No. 30.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Betz, Artur Samuel Cajetan (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 14, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Saxon rain|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 27, 1985|
|Place of death||Vienna|