life and work
Balàka completed a degree in Italian and English at the Institute for Translation and Interpreter Training at the University of Vienna , which she completed with a master's degree. Stays in Great Britain and the USA followed . She has lived in Vienna as a freelance writer and translator since 1991 . In 2004 she took part in the Ingeborg Bachmann Competition .
In 2019 she processed the life story of Johann Carl von Sothen in the novel Die Tauben von Brünn . In it, she contrasts the millionaire with the pigeon breeder Berta. While Sothens was alive, it was rumored that he had enriched himself through repeated lottery fraud. The drawing of the lottery numbers took place in Brno , and a horse-drawn carriage brought the numbers to Vienna. It was still possible to place a tip until the carriage arrived. Sothen is said to have used this by having the numbers sent to him by carrier pigeons. Before that, in 2014 Balàka published Unter Menschen, a novel from a dog's perspective, which ends in Vienna Am Himmel and also touches on the case of Sothen.
- 1992 Prize for the Rauris Literature Prize
- 1993 Alfred Gesswein Literature Prize
- 1993 erostepost literature prize
- 1997 Prize of the City of Vienna for Literature
- 1998 Austrian Promotion Prize for Literature
- 1999 Meta Merz Prize
- 1999 Austria 1 Essay Prize
- 2004 Theodor Körner Prize
- 2006 Salzburg Poetry Prize
- 2008 Friedrich Schiedel Prize for Literature
- 2018 Georg Trakl Prize for Poetry
- The darkest fruit. Poems. (= Poetry from Austria. Volume 60). G. Grasl, Baden near Vienna 1994, ISBN 3-85098-218-1 .
- Medical histories. Stories, Droschl, Graz 1996, ISBN 3-85420-440-X .
- Road movies. 9 attempts to leave. Stories. Droschl, Graz 1998, ISBN 3-85420-483-3 .
- The long-held breath. Novel. Droschl, Graz 2000, ISBN 3-85420-533-3 .
- Knife. Essay. Droschl, Graz 2000, ISBN 3-85420-553-8 .
- In the pack ice. Poems. Deuticke, Vienna 2001, ISBN 3-216-30458-2 .
- Dissociations. Poems from plants and birds. Poems. Resistance, Linz / Vienna 2002, ISBN 3-85285-081-9 .
- Among hunters. Stories. Droschl, Graz 2002, ISBN 3-85420-610-0 .
- Ice whispers . Novel. Droschl, Graz / Vienna 2006, ISBN 3-85420-710-7 .
- Foam canyons. Poems. Droschl, Graz / Vienna 2009, ISBN 978-3-85420-750-4 .
- On the open sea. Stories. Haymon Verlag, Innsbruck 2010, ISBN 978-3-85218-625-2 .
- Cassiopeia. Novel. Haymon Verlag, Innsbruck 2012, ISBN 978-3-85218-693-1 . (June 2012: ORF best list )
- Among people. Novel. Haymon Verlag, Innsbruck 2014, ISBN 978-3-7099-7040-9 .
- The princess of Arborio. Novel. Haymon Verlag, Innsbruck 2016, ISBN 978-3-7099-7239-7 .
- Emperors, warriors, heroines: excursions into the present of the past. Essays. Haymon Verlag, Innsbruck 2018, ISBN 978-3-7099-3424-1 .
- The pigeons of Brno. Novel. Zsolnay, Vienna 2019, ISBN 978-3-552-06399-0 .
- Literature by and about Bettina Balàka in the catalog of the German National Library
- Annotated link collection of the university library of the FU Berlin ( Memento from May 13, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) (Ulrich Goerdten)
- Archive recordings with Bettina Balàka in the online archive of the Austrian Media Library
- novel with a real core: The cruel Lottobaron of Vienna. In: ORF.at . August 24, 2019, accessed August 25, 2019 .
- Georg Trakl Prize goes to Bettina Balàka . Salzburg state correspondence of November 27, 2018, accessed on November 28, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 27, 1966|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Salzburg|