Carl Czerny (born February 21, 1791 in Vienna ; † July 15, 1857 there ) was an Austrian composer , pianist and piano teacher .
Carl Czerny was first taught by his father, a recognized piano virtuoso, and was already a brilliant pianist at the age of ten, which is why he became a student of Ludwig van Beethoven ; at the first Viennese performance of Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto on February 11, 1812, he played the solo part. He studied with Muzio Clementi and Johann Nepomuk Hummel and Antonio Salieri , but performed relatively rarely in concerts.
Czerny was a teacher of Franz Liszt , Sigismund Thalberg and Theodor Leschetizky . He wrote over 1,000 compositions; some of his etude collections, such as the " School of Fluency " (Op. 299) and the "Art of Finger Dexterity" (Op. 740), are still used in lessons today. He was one of the first composers to use the term Etude as a title. His extensive piano school, Op. 500 (“Complete theoretical-practical pianoforte school, progressing from the first beginning to the highest level”). Czerny is counted among the most important members of Viennese musical life of his time. Liszt later dedicated his 12 Études d'exécution transcendante to him .
Through Czerny's etude collections, his other works, including numerous symphonies and piano concertos , church music and chamber music , fell into oblivion for a long time and only received greater attention again at the end of the 20th century. His compositional style is based on the Viennese classic , but also occasionally reveals influences of romantic music . Czerny died a wealthy man. His grave of honor is located in the Vienna Central Cemetery (Group 0, Row 1, Number 49).
Czerny was also active as a music theorist, wrote a systematic guide to fantasizing on the pianoforte Op. 200 , was one of the first editors of a Bach Complete Edition (but quickly replaced as such due to questionable editing practice) and translated four extensive composition treatises by Anton Reicha : Die Compositionlehre (4 volumes 1832) and The Art of Dramatic Composition (1839). His edition of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier has been reprinted many times.
In 1907, in Vienna (20th district Brigittenau ), Karl-Czerny-Gasse was named after him. In Heidelberg , however, the Czerny Bridge and the Czernyring at the main train station are named after the Heidelberg surgeon and cancer researcher Vincenz Czerny .
- Czerny Carl. In: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 1, Publishing House of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1957, p. 162 f. (Direct links on p. 162 , p. 163 ).
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Czerny, Karl . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 3rd part. Typogr.-literar.-artist publishing house. Establishment (L. C. Zamarski, C. Dittmarsch & Comp.), Vienna 1858, pp. 105-108 ( digitized version ).
- Carl Ferdinand Pohl : Czerny, Karl . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 4, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1876, pp. 673-676.
- Willi Kahl : Czerny, Karl. In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 3, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1957, ISBN 3-428-00184-2 , p. 460 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Grete Wehmeyer : Carl Czerny and solitary confinement at the piano or The art of manual dexterity and the industrial work ideology , Zurich a. a. 1983 ISBN 3-7618-0699-X
- Klaus Stübler, Christine Wolf: Harenberg composers lexicon . Mayers Lexikonverlag, Mannheim 2004, ISBN 3-411-76117-2 , p. 22, 77, 78, 233, 263, 450, 534, 539, 800 .
- Heinz von Loesch (Ed.): Carl Czerny: composer, pianist, pedagogue , Mainz a. a. 2010, ISBN 978-3-7957-0670-8
- Catalog of works on Klassika
- Literature by and about Carl Czerny in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Carl Czerny in the German Digital Library
- Czerny: Excerpts from letters about lessons on the pianoforte , Vienna (no year)
- Czerny: Complete theoretical-practical piano school op. 500, III, Vienna  in excerpts
- Entry on Carl Czerny in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
Notes and acoustics
- "Czerny" title from the Munich Digitization Center (MDZ)
- Sheet music and audio files by Carl Czerny in the International Music Score Library Project
- www.kreusch-sheet-music.net - Sheet music from Carl Czerny in the public domain ( page no longer available )
- Free piano sheet music
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian composer, pianist and piano teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 21, 1791|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 15, 1857|
|Place of death||Vienna|