German National Prize
The German National Prize honors people in contemporary history who have advocated the growing together, the unity and unification of Germany and Europe . It is awarded by the German National Foundation, usually annually since 1997. Although the name might suggest otherwise , it is a privately awarded prize by the foundation; the only generally awarded official merit award of the Federal Republic of Germany is the Federal Cross of Merit .
The prize is endowed with up to 75,000 euros; In addition, the award winners can propose a recipient of a sponsorship award, which is then funded by the foundation.
- 1997: Society for the Promotion of the Reconstruction of the Frauenkirche Dresden eV
- 1998: Wolf Biermann and two grants to Ekkehard Maaß and Jürgen Fuchs
- 1999: Heinz Berggruen and Heinz Bethge
- 2000: The first signatories of the founding appeal “Awakening 89 - New Forum of September 10, 1989” ; the Robert Havemann Society received a sponsorship award
- 2001: Tadeusz Mazowiecki and Joseph Rovan
- 2002: Günter de Bruyn and Wolf Jobst Siedler
- 2003: Václav Havel
- 2005: Fritz Stern
- 2006: Herbert Hoover School Berlin
- 2007: EUSTORY
- 2008: Florian Mausbach , Günter Nooke , Jürgen Engert , Lothar de Maizière and the German Society as initiators for the erection of the Freedom and Unity Monument
- 2009: Erich Loest , Monika Maron and Uwe Tellkamp
- 2010: Karl Dedecius and Alfons Nossol as German-Polish "bridge builders"
- 2011: Gottfried Kiesow
- 2012: Canto Elementar , inspired by Karl Adamek and Hermann Rauhe
- 2013: German youth fire brigade . The award recognizes the voluntary commitment and the social integration achievement by the youth organization of the fire brigades in Germany.
- 2014: Christoph Wonneberger , Christian Führer and Uwe Schwabe , as well as the Archive Citizens Movement Leipzig e. V. as representatives of the Leipzig Monday demonstrations in memory of the peaceful revolution in the GDR and the fall of the Berlin Wall 25 years ago.
- 2015: Neil MacGregor
- 2016: Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge
- 2017: Rafał Dutkiewicz
- 2018: Rüdiger Safranski
- 2019: Anita Lasker-Wallfisch
- 2020: Torsten Pötzsch (Lord Mayor of the City of Weißwasser / Oberlausitz )
Previous prices with a similar designation
In the National Socialist German Reich as well as in the Soviet-occupied zone and in the GDR , official state prizes called the National Prize were awarded. Neither in terms of content nor historically are these prices in a line of continuity to one another.
- In May 1933 a German National Prize for Book and Film was created.
- 1937 and 1938 was a German National Prize for Art and Science donated, the place of the Nobel Prize of Hitler was given personally to German.
- The GDR National Prize was awarded from 1949 to 1989 . In the first year it was called the German National Prize 1949 . The award was presented on August 25, 1949, and thus before the founding of the GDR, by the Presidium of the German People's Council in Berlin.
- German National Prize awarded to Loest, Maron and Tellkamp at focus.de, June 16, 2009 (accessed June 17, 2009)
- German-Polish "bridge builders" are honored (press release of the German National Foundation of March 24, 2010; PDF, 85 kB)
- Monument protector Kiesow is honored . In: Saarbrücker Zeitung of May 5, 2011, p. B4. (accessed on May 5, 2011)
- German National Prize 2012
- German National Prize 2014 for the Leipzig Monday Demonstrations . The German National Foundation. 2014. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- National Prize for Dr. Rafał Dutkiewicz. In: press release. German National Foundation , March 8, 2017, accessed on March 10, 2017 .
- The originals of the certificate and medal for the 1949 German National Prize awarded to Friedrich Hund are in the possession of his eldest son.