Ekkart Sauser was the son of Innsbruck anatomy professor Gustav Sauser (1899–1968). Sauser studied philosophy and theology; on June 26, 1960 he was ordained a priest in Innsbruck . With the works Der Hallstätter Marienaltar by Meister Astl (1956) and Die Zillertaler Inclinanten and their expulsion in 1837 (1958/59) he acquired both the theological and the philosophical doctorate from the University of Innsbruck . From 1967 until his retirement in 2001 he was Professor of Ancient Church History , Patrology and Christian Archeology at theTrier Theological Faculty . He also worked as a lecturer in Innsbruck.
As a specialist and collector, he was particularly concerned with icons . Parts of his collection have been exhibited on various occasions. He also used it as a basis for courses, some of which he held in front of the originals in his private apartment. He gave a large part of his icon collection to the state of Tyrol, which shows them in the Stams monastery . He also made a donation from his icon collection to Kremsmünster Abbey .
Sauser's article in the BBKL
Sauser wrote numerous articles in the Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL), which, however, have received various criticisms.
- The Hallstatt Marienaltar by Master Astl (= publications of the Museum in Hallstatt. 4, ). Verlag des Musealverein Hallstatt, Hallstatt 1956, (in part also: Innsbruck, University, dissertation, 1956).
- The Zillertal inclinants and their expulsion in 1837. (Represented from files in the Vienna House, Court and State Archives, the Salzburg Consistorial Archives, the Provincial Government Archives for Tyrol, the library of the Ferdinandeum Museum in Innsbruck and the Parish Archives in Hippach) (= Schlern -Schriften. 198, ). Wagner, Innsbruck 1959, (at the same time: Innsbruck, University, dissertation, 1958/1959).
- Confessors of his glory. The testimony of early Christian martyrs. Rauch, Innsbruck 1964.
- Symbolism of the Catholic Church (= symbolism of the religions. 13, ). Tabular volume to volume 6 of the text. Hiersemann, Stuttgart 1966.
- Early Christian art. Symbol and statement of faith. Tyrolia, Innsbruck et al. 1966.
- Revolution of the Cross. Early Christianity (= The Christian in the world. An encyclopedia. Series 11: The history of the church. 1, ). Pattloch, Aschaffenburg 1966.
- Maria in Advent. 24 considerations. Paulinus-Verlag, Trier 1969.
- The portrait of Mary in the churches of Innsbruck. Rauch, Innsbruck 1970.
- The image of Christ in Innsbruck. The crucified one in the churches, chapels and streets of this city. Rauch, Innsbruck 1971.
- Crosses in North Tyrol. Rauch, Innsbruck 1972.
- Where does church come from? Local churches of the early days and church consciousness today. Knecht, Frankfurt am Main 1978, ISBN 3-7820-0403-5 .
- Saints and angels in the liturgical year. Reflections and suggestions on the missal and praise to God. Pustet, Regensburg 1979, ISBN 3-7917-0602-0 .
- The Eastern Church is so close to us. Knecht, Frankfurt am Main 1980, ISBN 3-7820-0444-2 .
- Gentlemen's festivals in the church year. Pustet, Regensburg 1981, ISBN 3-7917-0706-X .
- Saints and Blessed in the Diocese of Trier Verlag der Akademischen Buchhandlung Interbook, Trier 1987, ISBN 3-88915-030-6 .
- Pastoral care and counselors. Findings and experiences from 30 years of priests. sn, Innsbruck et al. 1989.
- with Bernd Kettern: The Schönfelderhof. Place of Christian Caritas in the past and present. Friedhofen-Verlag, Trier 1989.
- Rudolf Pranzl: Notes on a lexicon article by Prof. Sauser (Trier) about Abbot Alois Wiesinger OCist (1885–1955). In: Cistercian Chronicle . Vol. 106, 1999, pp. 363-369.
- Bernd Kettet: Bibliography of the literature by Prof. DDr. Ekkart Sauser for the years 1980–1983. Theological Faculty, Trier 1984.
- Literature by and about Ekkart Sauser in the catalog of the German National Library
- Information from the Münster Forum for Theology and Church (MFThK) on the articles written by Ekkart Sauser in the BBKL
- Obituary notice Ekkart Sauser , Trierischer Volksfreund from 23 November 2019
- Obituary from the Trier Theological Faculty: https://www.uni-trier.de/fileadmin/theofak/allgemein/Todesbeispiel_Ekkart_Sauser.pdf
- Icon pope and pastor celebrates cradle festival. In: online edition. Trierischer Volksfreund , April 12, 2013, accessed on December 4, 2015 .
- Sauser. Theological Faculty of Trier , accessed on December 4, 2015 .
- its comments on Sauser, the Münster Forum for Theology and Church criticized the article about the workers' secretary Gottfried Könzgen : Articles like the one about the concentration camp victim G. Könzgen are an insult to the dead . The BBKL corrected the errors in its online edition on September 9, 2003. See: Ekkart Sauser: Könzgen, Gottfried. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 16, Bautz, Herzberg 1999, ISBN 3-88309-079-4 , Sp. 862-863. (online version with corrections)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Roman Catholic priest, theologian and church historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 14, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||innsbruck|
|DATE OF DEATH||20th November 2019|
|Place of death||trier|