Embraer EMB 120
|Embraer EMB 120|
Embraer EMB 120 from Skippers Aviation at Perth Airport
July 27, 1983
1983 to 2007
|Number of pieces:||
The Turboprops powered Embraer EMB 120 was developed in the early 1980s as a modern feeder aircraft with a pressurized cabin and is in direct competition with the Saab 340 . After the first flight on July 27, 1983, the model was first used in scheduled service in the USA in October 1985 . Up to autumn 2004 a total of 352 aircraft had been firmly ordered. In Germany, the EMB 120 was used by the DLT from 1986 .
- EMB 120
- Basic model
- EMB 120ER
- Version with higher range and increased capacity; all EMB-120ER S / Ns can be upgraded to the versions EMB-120FC or EMB-120QC
- EMB 120FC
- Pure freight version
- EMB 120QC
- Version with the ability to quickly convert between cargo and passenger transport
- EMB 120RT
- Freight version; all EMB-120RT S / Ns can be converted to the EMB-120ER version
- Brazilian Air Force VIP transporter
From the first flight in 1983 to May 2020, the Embraer EMB 120 suffered 25 total losses. 210 people were killed in 16 of them. Extracts:
- On December 21, 1987, an Air Littoral- operated Embraer EMB 120 ( aircraft registration F-GEGH ) was flown into the ground on an Air France flight when approaching Bordeaux airport five kilometers northeast of the field. All 16 inmates were killed. The crew had difficulties with the approach in bad weather, the machine finally got too low and collided with trees. It was a controlled flight into terrain .
- On April 5, 1991, an Atlantic Southeast Airlines Embraer EMB 120 with 20 passengers and three crew members on board crashed on approach to Brunswick, Georgia , after a misalignment of the propeller blades of the left engine caused a loss of control due to a design fault. Nobody survived (see also Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 2311 ) .
- On September 11, 1991, a Britt Airways Embraer EMB 120 crashed while it was on the flight from Laredo to Houston . The cause was the incorrect maintenance on the left horizontal stabilizer. All 14 occupants were killed in the crash (see also Continental Express flight 2574 ) .
- On August 21, 1995 an Embraer EMB 120 had an accident on a flight with 26 passengers and three crew members on board after an engine failure. Nine people were killed (see also Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight 529 ) .
- On January 9, 1997, an Embraer EMB 120 crashed while approaching Detroit Airport . The pilots of the machine had lost control after ice had accumulated on the wings. None of the 29 people on board survived the crash (see also Comair flight 3272 ) .
- On May 14, 2004, an EMB 120 propped up near Tefé (Brazil) with 30 passengers and 3 crew members. The machine had been instructed to abort the approach in order to clear the way for a medical emergency. There were no survivors.
- On October 3, 2013, an Embraer EMB 120 (5N-BJY) had an accident shortly after taking off on a charter flight from Lagos Airport to Akure . Of the 20 people on board, 15 were killed. On board were 13 family members and the coffin of Governor Olusegun Agagu in addition to the seven-person crew. One of the five surviving passengers was the governor's son (see also Associated Aviation Flight 361 ) .
- On May 4, 2020, an Embraer EMB 120 crashed on a flight with 4 passengers and two crew members on board while approaching Berdale (Somalia) after being mistakenly shot at by Ethiopian troops. None of the people on board survived the crash.
|Wing area||39.4 m²|
|Empty mass||7,070 kg|
|Max. Takeoff mass||11,500 kg|
|Takeoff route||1560 m|
|Landing route||1380 m|
|Cruising speed||310 kn (574 km / h)|
|Top speed||608 km / h|
|Service ceiling||9,085 m|
|Engines||two propeller turbines Pratt & Whitney Canada PW118 / 118A / 118B each with 1,340 kW (1,800 shp)|
- Embraer 120 ( Memento from December 15, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- List of permanently ordered EM-120s ( Memento from March 11, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Federal Aviation Regulations Type Certificate No. A31SO (PDF; 605 kB)
- World Airliner Census 2011. P. 35. ( Memento of the original from August 25, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Flight Global. 13-19 December 2011. Accessed January 10, 2012
- List of accidents with Embraer EMB-120 , Aviation Safety Network WikiBase , accessed on May 12, 2020.
- Accident report EMB-120 F-GEGH , Aviation Safety Network (English), accessed on November 12, 2017.
- ASN Aircraft accident Embraer EMB-120RT Brasilia N270AS Brunswick-Glynco Jetport, GA (BQK). Retrieved May 12, 2020 (English).
- AAR-98/04 , accessed on April 16, 2012 (English).
- aviation-safety.net , accessed May 12, 2020 (English)
- aerotelegraph.com - Nigeria crash: plane uninsured, accessed on October 17, 2013
- eturbonews.com - Operations of Associated Aviation held by Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority ( Memento of the original from October 19, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (English), accessed October 18, 2013
- avherald , accessed May 12, 2020 (English)