life and work
On his father's side, Ernst Kieckers came from a family of craftsmen and manufacturers: his grandfather was a locksmith, his father a dye works owner. He attended high school in his hometown of Barmen and, after graduating from high school, studied comparative linguistics at the universities of Bonn , Munich and Marburg from 1901 to 1907 ; In addition to linguistics, he also attended lectures in classical philology , German and Romance studies . In Marburg he was in 1907 with a study on the Greek dialects on Crete Dr. phil. PhD . After receiving his doctorate, he deepened his studies at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Berlin , where he dealt with the Georgian , Samoan and Chinese languages , among other things .
In 1908 Kieckers went from Berlin to the University of Freiburg im Breisgau , where he familiarized himself with the Celtic languages under the guidance of Rudolf Thurneysen . From April 25 to September 30, 1910 he worked on the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in Munich and wrote articles for Volume V, 1. In October 1910 he completed his habilitation in Freiburg for the subject of comparative linguistics. In the autumn of 1912, Kieckers went to the University of Munich as a private lecturer, where he mainly held Greek elementary courses. In 1917 he was appointed as a non-official associate professor.
After the First World War , in February 1921, Kieckers accepted a call to the University of Dorpat in Estonia for the Chair of Indo-European Linguistics, which he held until his death. In addition to his teaching assignment, he held lectures and exercises in the field of German and Latin studies and gave introductory courses in Chinese, Samoan and Coptic . During the years in Dorpat, he made regular trips to Germany and to linguistic congresses in the Netherlands and Switzerland. He died on August 5, 1938 after an operation in Munich.
In his scientific publications, Kieckers concentrated on historical syntax as well as on phonetics and forms. A particular focus of his research was the linguistic history of Greek and Latin as well as the Germanic languages. He published numerous individual studies, often of monographic size (especially his series Linguistic Miscelles , 1922–1938) as well as systematic scientific handbooks in which he drew the sum of his and other research. He published a historical Greek grammar (4 volumes, 1925-1926), a handbook of comparative Gothic grammar (1928) and a historical Latin grammar (2 volumes, 1930-1931), which remained unfinished because Kieckers proposed the planned syntax volume could not finish his death. In 1932 he published the second, expanded edition of Albert Thumb's Handbook of Greek Dialects (1932). In 1935 he published an Old English grammar .
- The local differences in the dialects of Crete . Marburg 1908 (dissertation).
- The position of the verb in Greek and related languages . Strasbourg 1911 (habilitation thesis, University of Freiburg).
- On the oratio recta in the Indo-European languages . 2 parts, Strasbourg 1915–1916.
- Linguistic miscelles . 14 parts, Tartu 1922-1938
- Historical Greek grammar . 4 volumes, Berlin and Leipzig 1925–1926.
- Handbook of Comparative Gothic Grammar . Munich 1928. 2nd, unchanged edition 1960.
- Chrestomathy and a glossary of comparative Gothic grammar . Munich 1928.
- Historical Latin grammar. With consideration of the Vulgar Latin and the Romance languages . 2 volumes, Berlin and Leipzig 1930–1931. 2nd, unchanged edition, Munich 1960.
- The language tribes of the earth. With a number of grammatical sketches . Heidelberg 1931 (= culture and language 7).
- Introduction to Indo-European Linguistics . First part: phonology . Munich 1933.
- Old English grammar . Munich 1935.
- Albert Thumb : Handbook of Greek Dialects . First part, 2nd, expanded edition. Heidelberg 1932.
- Peeter Arumaa: Ernst Kieckers † . In: Gnomon . Volume 15 (1939), pp. 110-112.
- Heinrich Hiedell: Ernst Kieckers . In: Annual report on the progress of classical antiquity . Volume 67, 1942, Volume 280 (1942). Nekrologe = biographical yearbook for archeology . 61st year, 1942, pp. 49–56 (with list of publications).
- Peter Wirth : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 11, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1977, ISBN 3-428-00192-3 , p. 576 ( ).
- Malle Rebane: Kieckers, Friedrich Ernst. In: Christoph König (Ed.), With the assistance of Birgit Wägenbaur u. a .: Internationales Germanistenlexikon 1800–1950 . Volume 2: H-Q. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2003, ISBN 3-11-015485-4 , pp. 922-923.
- Kieckers, Ernst . In: Rudolf Vierhaus (Ed.): German Biographical Encyclopedia (DBE) . 2., revised. and extended edition. tape 5 : Hitz – Kozub . De Gruyter / KG Saur, Berlin / Boston / Munich 2006, ISBN 3-11-094653-X , p. 612 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kieckers, Friedrich Ernst (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 27, 1882|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Barmen|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 5, 1938|
|Place of death||Munich|