Friedrich Johannes Muckermann (born August 17, 1883 in Bückeburg ; † April 2, 1946 in Montreux ) was a Jesuit and publicist . He was one of the most determined Catholic fighters against National Socialism .
In the fight against the Nazis , Friedrich Muckermann was active through many speeches and articles. He was editor of the magazines Der Grail and Der Deutsche Weg , spoke on the Paris radio on Sundays , most recently before the fall of Paris in June 1940.
In 1899 he entered the Jesuit order in Bleyenbeck ( Netherlands ) , four years later he began studying philosophy, which was followed in 1912 by studying theology. Two years later he was ordained a priest. In 1919 he returned as a chaplain from Russian captivity (in prisons in Minsk and Smolensk ) (prisoner exchange against Karl Radek ). His activities as the editor of the Grail / Graal , as the founder and head of press correspondence, as a writer, journalist, speaker on large and small occasions and on the radio as a preacher and pastor began in 1921. During his time in Bonn (1921 to 1923) he became honorary philistine of the Academic Scientific Association Renaissance . After becoming an enemy of the state for the National Socialists, he went to Oldenzaal in the Netherlands in 1934 . There, despite open Gestapo surveillance, the printer's owner and publisher of the Twentsche Courant , Brüggemann, helped him smuggle the church papers illegal in Germany. He continued his fight against the Nazi regime from abroad. In 1938 he moved to Paris, where he had to flee from the Gestapo to Switzerland in 1943 , where he worked as a journalist. He wrote many articles in newspapers and magazines and published three more books after 1945.
After the end of the war, Muckermann's writings The Bolshevism Threat (Kath. Tat-Verl., Cologne 1931), The Lot of the Worker in Soviet Russia (Kath. Tat-Verl., Cologne 1932) and It speaks the Spanish soul were published in the Soviet occupation zone ... New documents (Alsatia, Colmar 1937) added to the list of literature to be discarded. In the German Democratic Republic this list was followed by Do you want that too? How I experienced Bolshevism in Russia (Verb. Of the Catholic youth associations of Germany, Düsseldorf 1920), Vom Rätsel der Zeit. ( Kösel & Pustet , Munich 1933) and Holy Spring (Regensbergsche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Münster 1935).
- In the struggle between two eras. Life memories . Edited and introduced by Nikolaus Junk . Publications of the Commission for Contemporary History, Series A: Sources, Volume 15, Matthias Grünewald, Mainz 1973
- Wladimir Solowiew - On the encounter between Russia and the West. 2 volumes, Walter, Olten 1945
- Hubert Gruber : Friedrich Muckermann SJ, 1883–1946. A Catholic journalist dealing with the zeitgeist. Matthias Grünewald, Mainz 1993, ISBN 3-7867-1736-2 .
- Hubert Gruber: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 18, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-428-00199-0 , pp. 258-260 ( version ). In:
- Franz Kroos : Friedrich Muckermann (1833-1946). In: Rudolf Morsey (ed.): Contemporary history in life pictures. From the German Catholicism of the 20th century. Volume 2, Mainz 1975, p. 48 ff.
- Herbert Wagner : The Gestapo wasn't alone ... Political social control and state terror in the German-Dutch border area 1929–1945. Lit, Münster 2004, ISBN 3-8258-7448-6 (also dissertation, Fernuniversität Hagen, 2002).
- A beautiful spirit as an enemy of the state. In: Evangelical newspaper. August 17, 2008, p. 14.
- Muckermann, Friedrich , in: Werner Röder, Herbert A. Strauss (Hrsg.): Biographical manual of German-speaking emigration after 1933. Volume 1: Politics, economy, public life . Munich: Saur, 1980, p. 510
- Literature by and about Friedrich Muckermann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography of the German Resistance Memorial Center
- Friedrich Muckermann in the Lexicon of Westphalian Authors
- Hermann Muckermann: April 2, 1946 - Friedrich Muckermann SJ † in Montreux (Switzerland). In: Messages from the German provinces of the Society of Jesus. Volume 17, No. 113-116, 1953-1956, pp 325-328.
- Reinhard Lettmann: Nikolaus Groß. Sermon on the occasion of the memorial of the martyrs in Xanten Cathedral on June 17, 1990.
- Corrie Sweep, Ad Maas: De geschiedenis van het geloof in een own kathieke nieuwsdienst van 1927 dead 1973. In: Bureaupubliciteit.nl (Dutch).
- Friedrich Muckermann collection in the German Exile Archive of the German National Library
- -ed. Franz Eichert, Martin Rockenbach. Inges. 29 vintages. Changing subtitles: The Grail. Monthly for beautiful literature; Monthly for art care in the Catholic spirit, monthly for beautiful literature. Literary monthly. Monthly for Poetry and Life. Gegr. 1906, 1939 banned. Changing publishers.
- Friedrich Muckermann: In the struggle between two epochs, memoirs . Matthias Grünewald, Mainz 1973, ISBN 3-7867-0409-0 , p. 336 .
- German Administration for National Education in the Soviet occupation zone list of auszusondernden Literature: transcript Letter M . Deutscher Zentralverlag, Berlin 1948, p. 186–206 ( online [accessed May 12, 2015]).
- Ministry of Education of the German Democratic Republic, List of auszusondernden Literature: transcript Letter M . VEB Deutscher Zentralverlag, Berlin 1953, p. 127-139 ( online [accessed May 12, 2015]).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Muckermann, Friedrich Johannes|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Catholic publicist, Jesuit|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th August 1883|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Buckeburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 2, 1946|
|Place of death||Montreux|