City of Waldmünchen
|Height :||505 m above sea level NHN|
|Incorporation :||May 1, 1978|
|Postal code :||93449|
|Area code :||09975|
Location of Geigant in Bavaria
The early history of Geigant is closely linked to the genealogy of the Geigant and the old castle . The first local name bearer is a Gertrud Gaiganterin mentioned in 1120 . In 1261 a Wolframus de Gigant is mentioned. The area, like the nearby castle near Katzbach , probably belonged to the Margraves of Cham .
Culture and sights
The Catholic parish church of St. Bartholomew is characteristic of the townscape . Built and from 1966 to 1969 on May 31, 1970 consecrated that is tent church with weekday chapel and a freestanding tower, the building height dominant of the town. Notable items of equipment are the glass mosaics with eschatological motifs in the church gables , the modern Way of the Cross and the large Vleugels organ, built in 2003 .
Historical monuments can be found in Hauptstraße 6 (historic saddle roof building with a stepped gable, formerly Gasthaus Zum Bräu ), in Hauptstraße 9 (Waldlerhaus with log building upper floor, Gasthaus Altes Haus ) and in Hauptstraße 23 (Epitaph Ritter Kagerer from the 16th century the steps surrounding the church forecourt).
Economy, infrastructure and education
|Train type||route||Clock frequency|
|Cham (Upper Palatinate) - Willmering - Geigant - Waldmünchen||Every 2 hours|
In Geigant there is a primary school with two full-time teachers and 44 children in combined year classes (as of 2016/2017). The school building stands on the site of the former Geigant Castle . The old parish church, which was demolished in the course of the construction of the new church, stood roughly in the area of today's playground.
A publicly accessible library exists as a parish library in the parish center.
- Voluntary fire brigade Geigant (Ed.): Festschrift for the inauguration of the tool shed . Geigant 1987 (contains a historical outline of the local history).
- Heinrich Siebenhörl: Geigant, a district of Waldmünchen . In: Waldmünchner Heimatbote , 36, 2002, pp. 52–61.
- Hansjörg Schneider: How Geigant got an industrial settlement . In: Waldmünchner Heimatbote , 24, 1991, pp. 54–57.
- Bernhard Ernst, 2001, pp. 98-101.
- Federal Statistical Office (ed.): Historical municipality directory for the Federal Republic of Germany. Name, border and key number changes in municipalities, counties and administrative districts from May 27, 1970 to December 31, 1982 . W. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart / Mainz 1983, ISBN 3-17-003263-1 , p. 643 .
- Parish Curatia St. Bartholomäus Geigant (ed.): The new building of the Church of St. Bartholomäus in Geigant . Fuß, Waldmünchen 1970, p. 2 .
- Geigant Organ Building Association (ed.): The new Vleugels organ in the Geigant parish church . Perlinger Druck, Furth in Wald 2003.
- Website of the Geigant elementary school
- Geigant elementary school in the school database of the Bavarian State Ministry for Education and Culture , accessed on October 2, 2017.
- Parish Curatia St. Bartholomäus Geigant (ed.): The new building of the Church of St. Bartholomäus in Geigant . Fuß, Waldmünchen 1970.