Gerald Spindler (born December 18, 1960 in Braunschweig ) is a German law and economics scholar and holder of the chair for civil law , commercial and economic law , comparative law , multimedia and telecommunications law at the Georg August University in Göttingen . He is the author and editor of numerous publications on national and international corporate , capital market and media law .
Studies and habilitation
From 1979 Spindler studied law and economics in Frankfurt am Main , Hagen , Geneva and Lausanne and graduated with the second state examination in law and an economics diploma. Between 1985 and 1990 he worked as a research assistant at the Institute for International and Foreign Business Law with Hans-Joachim Mertens at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . In 1993 he received his doctorate with a comparative law dissertation on the subject of "Law and corporate groups".
Spindler completed his habilitation in 1996 with a thesis on the subject of "Company organizational obligations - civil and public law regulatory concepts". This granted him the license to teach civil law , commercial and business law , international private law , comparative law and labor law.
Since 1997 Spindler has been a full university professor at the Georg-August University in Göttingen . He turned down offers to the universities of Cologne , Bielefeld , Frankfurt and the ETH Zurich . His main focus is on e-commerce , internet and telecommunications law , copyright and intellectual property law , corporate and capital market law .
Engagements and research
University of Göttingen
Spindler was Dean of the Law Faculty of the University of Göttingen in 2000/2001 and Dean of Finance from 2002 to 2004. He is director of the Institute for Business Law and the Institute for Agricultural Law, a member of the Center for Medical Law and a second member of the Göttingen Center for Digital Humanities (GCDH). In addition, Spindler is a member of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen , a second member of the Center for European, Governance and Development Research (CeGe) and deputy chairman of the committee for publication issues of the Union of German Academies of Sciences .
Spindler's research in media law is primarily in the areas of copyright, IT and data protection law . The work is specifically aimed at clarifying legal problem areas of liability for information on the Internet , online presentations, contract law in the online environment and telecommunications. Spindler was deputy chairman of the board of the German Society for Law and Information Technology . He advised the German Bundestag , the European Parliament and the European Commission on questions of telemedia law . In 2012 he was a reviewer for the German Lawyers' Association in the department “Protection of privacy on the Internet - requirements and limits of regulation”. Spindler has been a member of the PRACTICE project for the development of a secure cloud infrastructure since 2013 and is responsible for data protection issues in this context with his chair. He is also involved in an order from the Society for International Cooperation on Data Protection for Brazil , China and Germany . Since 2010 Spindler has been organizing the “Göttingen Copyright Conference” together with Andreas Wiebe and the “Göttingen Forum for IT Law” since 2015 with Andreas Wiebe and Torsten Körber .
In 2015, in a lecture, he rejected the constitutional justification of the right to anonymity on the Internet. This position received heavy criticism.
Company and capital market law
Spindler also conducts research on corporate and capital market law and has advised German and European legislators on this. The main focus of corporate law research is on the organizational law of corporations , group law and European company law with references above all to tort , criminal and public law . His research takes into account the New Institutional Economics and the Economic Analysis of Law . The main focus of capital market law is on the areas of German and European regulation of electronic trading systems and marketplaces as well as exchange organization obligations.
Spindler is a co-author of various commentaries, including the Munich Commentary on the Stock Corporation Act , the copyright commentary by Schricker and Loewenheim , and the BGB commentary by Heinz Georg Bamberger and Herbert Roth . In addition, he publishes a commentary on the German Stock Corporation Act with Eberhard Stilz and a commentary on electronic media law with Fabian Schuster . Spindler is also co-editor of several series of publications on business and media law and among other things publishes the magazine “ Multimedia und Recht ” and is a member of the editorial team of the magazine “ Computer und Recht ”.
- Law and Group. Interdependencies of legal and corporate development in Germany and the USA between 1870 and 1933 , Tübingen 1993, ISBN 3161461231 .
- Company organizational obligations. Civil law and public law regulatory concepts , 2nd edition Göttingen 2011, ISBN 978-3-86395-003-3 .
- Contract law of Internet providers , 2nd edition Cologne 2004, ISBN 978-3-504-56037-9 .
- Website of the chair of Gerald Spindler at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
- Literature by and about Gerald Spindler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Complete list of publications by Gerald Spindler
- Gerald Spindler: Company organizational duties - civil law and public law regulatory concepts. (No longer available online.) Universitätsverlag Göttingen, 2011, archived from the original on July 12, 2016 ; accessed on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Directors of the Institute for Business Law. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Directors. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- people. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- people. Retrieved July 11, 2016 .
- Members. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Members. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- academy union. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- 69th German Lawyers' Conference in Munich. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- PRACTICE. Retrieved July 12, 2016 .
- German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) GmbH. Retrieved July 12, 2016 .
- Göttingen Copyright Conference. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Göttingen Forum IT Law. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Gerald Spindler: Responsibility and liability of intermediaries. Retrieved on July 12, 2016 (German).
- Stefan Krempl: copyright conference: "Holy Cow anonymity belongs slaughtered". In: heise online . December 2, 2015, accessed December 3, 2015 .
- Ulf Buermeyer: Comment: Prohibition of Internet anonymity puts the ax to democracy. heise online , December 6, 2015, accessed on December 7, 2015 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German business lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 18, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Braunschweig|