|density||1,169.9 Ew. / km²|
|Post Code||CR 01 - CR 04|
|Mayor||Charles R. Gosling|
|Time zone :||AST ( UTC − 4 )|
Front Street on the water in Hamilton
Hamilton (area 0.7 km²) is the capital of Bermuda , an archipelago in the North Atlantic that belongs to the United Kingdom . Hamilton has 854 inhabitants (2016). About 40 percent of the working population of Bermuda work in Hamilton, so that around 13,340 people commute to the city every day.
In 1790 the Bermuda government decided to provide 587,000 m² for the construction of the city. The city was founded in 1793 and named after the governor Sir Henry Hamilton . In 1815, Hamilton became the capital of Bermuda, replacing Saint George’s , located in the northeast of the archipelago. In 1953 Hamilton became the seat of the Roman Catholic Apostolic Prefecture of the Bermuda Islands (since 1967: Diocese of Hamilton in Bermuda ).
The city has changed significantly over the past two decades. The number of office space doubled and the number of jobs increased accordingly. Nevertheless, the population fell by about a third. Hamilton was named the most expensive city in the world in 2016 based on estimated monthly cost of living ($ 4,769).
Hamilton is located on the largest Bermudian island, Grand Bermuda , on the east side of the Great Sound , and is completely surrounded on the land by Pembroke Parish . The city does not belong administratively to the approximately eight kilometers northeast of Hamilton Parish .
Average monthly temperatures and rainfall for Hamilton
sons and daughters of the town
- Edwin B. Astwood (1909-1976), American endocrinologist
- Kyle Lightbourne (* 1968), football and cricketer
- Shaun Goater (* 1970), soccer player and coach
- Lena Headey (born 1973), British actress
- Keith Archibald Forbes: Bermuda's City of Hamilton. In: Bermuda and her Atlantic Islands. Bermuda Online (BOL ).
- Melinda Williams (Ed.): 2016 Population and Housing Census Report . Government of Bermuda - Department of Statistics, Hamilton, Bermuda May 2, 2018, Population, p. 25 , Table 4: Population density by parish and municipality, 2016 and 2010 (English, gov.bm [PDF; 4.4 MB ; accessed on August 30, 2019]).
- Melinda Williams (Ed.): 2016 Population and Housing Census Report . Government of Bermuda - Department of Statistics, Hamilton, Bermuda May 2, 2018, Population, p. 24 , Table 3: Population by parish and municipality, 2016 and 2010 (English, gov.bm [PDF; 4.4 MB ; accessed on August 30, 2019]).
- Naomi Leach: The 20 most expensive cities in the world to live in revealed. In: Daily Mail Online . DMG Media, December 29, 2016; accessed on December 14, 2017 (English).
- Cost of Living in Hamilton. In: Numbeo. Mladen Adamovic, accessed December 14, 2017 .
- Owain Johnston-Barnes: City of Hamilton twins with Jamaican town. In: The Royal Gazette. The Bermuda Press Holdings Ltd., June 27, 2013; accessed on December 14, 2017 (English).