Henry Chadwick (theologian)
Sir Henry Chadwick (born June 23, 1920 in Bromley (London) , † June 17, 2008 in Oxford ) was a British theologian and church historian and Professor Emeritus of Patristic Theology at Cambridge University .
Chadwick studied music and theology at Cambridge and taught as Regius Professor of Divinity and Canon of Christ Church Oxford from 1959 to 1969, and then from 1969 to 1979 as Dean of Christ Church in Oxford. In the following years he held the chair of the Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Cambridge until 1983 .
In 1991 he received the Dr. Leopold Lucas Prize . Chadwick was a member of the British Academy , corresponding member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences , corresponding member of the Philosophical-Historical Class of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (BAdW) , the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1970) and the American Philosophical Society (1982), multiple theological honorary doctorate a . a. from the Universities of Jena (1997) and Uppsala as well as Knight of the British Empire . In 1998, Chadwick became an honorary member of the Academy of Non-Profit Science in Erfurt . Sir Henry Chadwick was also a member of the German Order Pour le Mérite for Science and the Arts.
- Rowan Williams: Henry Chadwick, 1920-2008 . In: Proceedings of the British Academy . tape 166 , 2010, p. 79-99 ( thebritishacademy.ac.uk [PDF]).
- Announcement on the appointment of Henry Chadwick as Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Oxford in the London Gazette of January 9, 1959.
- Sir Henry Chadwick, Church Historian ; Presentation of the members of the Pour le Mérite Order for Sciences and Arts; accessed on May 24, 2016.
- Communication on the appointment of Maurice Frank Wiles as Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Oxford in the London Gazette of October 1, 1970.
- Introducing Henry Chadwick at www.GiffordLectures.org; accessed on May 26, 2016.
- Bavarian Academy of Sciences - Members of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences 2004 ( Memento of December 13, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Member History: Henry Chadwick. American Philosophical Society, accessed June 16, 2018 .
- Sir Henry Chadwick Honorary Doctorate
- ChadwickHenry on erfurt-web.de - the erfurt encyclopedia ( Memento from December 9, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Obituary, signed by Chancellor Horst Albach. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung 148/2008, June 27, 2008, p. 20.
- Literature by and about Henry Chadwick in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Henry Chadwick in the German Digital Library
Regius Professor of Divinity (Oxford)
|Maurice Frank Wiles|
|Geoffrey William Hugo lamp||
Regius Professor of Divinity (Cambridge)
|Stephen Whitefield Sykes|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British theologian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 23, 1920|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 17, 2008|
|Place of death||Oxford|