Hermann Vetters (archaeologist)
Hermann Vetters was born as the son of the geologist of the same name Hermann Vetters (1880–1941). Vetters received his doctorate in 1939 at the University of Vienna with the thesis “Die Provinz Dacia ripensis” supervised by Rudolf Egger . In the same year he was employed at the Austrian Archaeological Institute (at that time the Vienna branch of the Archaeological Institute of the German Empire ), but military service and imprisonment soon interrupted his archaeological activity, which he was only able to resume in 1946.
At first he mainly carried out provincial Roman excavations, including on the Magdalensberg . Since 1960 he took part in the excavations in Ephesus. In 1965 he completed his habilitation in Classical Studies and Ancient History at the University of Vienna, and in 1969 he received a newly created full professorship there with special focus on field archeology and classical studies. In 1969 he also became director of the Austrian Archaeological Institute and head of excavations in Ephesus .
The major projects he has led include the uncovering of the hillside houses and the anastilosis of the Celsus library in Ephesus. In 1975 Hermann Vetters received the Wilhelm Hartel Prize , and in 1977 the City of Vienna Prize for the Humanities . From 1982 to 1991 Vetters was Vice President of the Austrian Academy of Sciences . Since 1983 he has been a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences .
He was buried at the Ottakringer Friedhof in Vienna.
- Ephesus (1977)
- Guide to the excavations on the Magdalenenberg (1985)
- The Roman Limes in Austria (1986)
- To the High Romanesque Cathedral of Salzburg (1989)
- Manfred Kandler (Hrsg.): Living ancient science. Commemoration to mark the completion of Hermann Vetters' 70th year, offered by friends, students and colleagues. Holzhausen, Vienna 1985, ISBN 3-900518-01-7 .
- Gudrun Wlach: The directors and scientific staff of the Austrian Archaeological Institute In: 100 years Austrian Archaeological Institute 1898-1998. ÖAI, Vienna 1998, ISBN 3-900305-27-6 , pp. 117–119.
- Heinrich Zabehlicky: Hermann Vetters, 1915–1993 In: Annual Issues of the Austrian Archaeological Institute 62, 1993, excavations p. 1 ff.
- Hermann Vetter's obituary in the 1994 yearbook of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (PDF file).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 1, 1915|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 24, 1993|
|Place of death||Baden near Vienna|