Live and act
Jürgen Neffe graduated from high school Adolfinum in Moers in 1975 . He then began studying physics, but later switched to biology. In 1985 he received his doctorate from RWTH Aachen University on a biochemical topic for Dr. rer. nat.
Nephew already worked as a freelance journalist when he was a student. In 1984 he traveled to Bhopal , India , to research the chemical accident and its consequences. His reports were published in the weekly newspaper Die Zeit . Neffe then received an offer from Geo , where he started as an editor and writer in 1985. In 1991 Neffe received the Egon Erwin Kisch Prize for his report "The Curse of Good Deeds" in Geo Wissen . From 1984 to 1988 Neffe worked as a freelance Germany correspondent for the science journal Nature . In 1993 he went to Spiegel as a reporter, columnist and correspondent , where he reported, among other things, as a correspondent from New York City and worked in the Berlin capital office. At the beginning of 2003, Neffe moved to the Max Planck Society , for which he set up and managed the capital city office on Berlin's Gendarmenmarkt . At the end of the year he left the Max Planck Society.
In January 2005 Neffe presented a biography of Albert Einstein , which took 8th place on the list of bestsellers of 2005 in the non-fiction category. The work has been translated into more than ten languages, including English. The Washington Post named it “Book of the Year” for 2007.
In 2007/2008 Jürgen Neffe traveled around the globe for seven months in order to follow Charles Darwin's route during his circumnavigation on the Beagle . As a result of this search for clues, he published a scientific report on the emergence of the theory of evolution and at the same time a biography of Charles Darwin. The world described the work as “fascinating” because it tells two stories in one. The Standard ruled that Nephew had written "the best book to date for the Darwin Year".
In 2014, Neffe published his first novel “More than we are”. The Germany radio described it as the "Search for the Ultimate Theory of Life."
The most recent book Neffes is entitled "Marx - The Unfinished". It is a current biography of the life and work of the philosopher and social critic. The work was nominated for the German Business Book Prize 2017.
- At some point I developed a very strong will. In: Charlotte Kerner : Not only Madame Curie - women who got the Nobel Prize. Beltz Verlag, Weinheim / Basel 1999, ISBN 3-407-80862-3 .
- Einstein's role model - thoughts on science popularization and technology skepticism. In: Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Matthias Machnig (HG.): Made in Germany '21 . Hoffmann and Campe, Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-455-10417-7 .
- Einstein - a biography . Rowohlt, Reinbek near Hamburg 2005, ISBN 3-499-61937-7 .
- Darwin. The adventure of life . C. Bertelsmann, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-570-01091-4 .
- More than we are . C. Bertelsmann, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-570-10205-3 .
- Marx. The unfinished. C. Bertelsmann, Munich 2017, ISBN 978-3-570-10273-2 .
- Literature by and about Jürgen Neffe in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Jürgen Neffe at perlentaucher.de
- Jürgen Neffe. In: Pearl Divers. Retrieved August 31, 2017 .
- Jürgen Neffe: Structure and internalization of the insulin receptor . In: Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen . 1985.
- Charles Darwin's new descendant . In: Upper Austrian news . November 29, 2008, p. 7 .
- 1977–2004: An overview of all award winners. In: Stern. Retrieved August 31, 2017 .
- "Jürgen Neffe". In: Nature. Accessed August 31, 2017 (English).
- On the trail of the Albert Einstein myth . Jürgen Neffe reads. In: Ostthüringer Zeitung . June 9, 2005.
- Alexander Mäder: Max Planck Society opens office in Berlin . In: Berliner Zeitung . June 27, 2003, p. 13 .
- Christine Gierath's new head of the capital city office. In: Max Planck Society. December 10, 2003, accessed August 31, 2017 (press release).
- Karim Saab: Marx, a "world-understanding" and "eye opener". In: Märkische Allgemeine. September 16, 2017. Retrieved September 18, 2017 .
- Easy to read . In: Falter . January 26, 2005, p. 22 .
- Annual bestseller 2005 . In: Der Spiegel . December 23, 2005 ( spiegel.de [accessed August 31, 2017]).
- Einstein: A Biography. In: Publishers Weekly . Accessed August 31, 2017 (English).
- Jürgen Neffe. (No longer available online.) In: LIT: potsdam. Archived from the original on August 31, 2017 ; accessed on August 31, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Jürgen Neffe: Darwin . Biography in books. In: The world . May 27, 2017, p. 32 .
- An attempt to travel like Darwin . In: The Standard . January 10, 2009, p. 3 .
- The world without sleep . In: Der Spiegel . November 3, 2014 ( spiegel.de [accessed August 31, 2017]).
- Thorsten Jantschek: A double life for philosophy. In: Deutschlandfunk Kultur. Retrieved August 31, 2017 .
- German Business: The Shortlist. In: BuchMarkt. August 11, 2017. Retrieved August 31, 2017 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th June 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Herne , Germany|