Jay Joseph Wiseman (born June 16, 1949 in New Albany , Indiana ) is an American writer , publisher and BDSM activist. His BDSM manual SM 101: A Realistic Introduction is one of the world's best-known standard works on this subject. Wiseman is one of the two founders of the specialist publisher Greenery Press .
Wiseman lives in San Francisco . He has two grown sons, a daughter and four grandchildren. He is a member of Mensa International .
Wiseman moved frequently in his youth and attended several schools. In 1969 he graduated from Anderson High School , Anderson, Indiana. He attended the Military Academy Culver Military Academy , Culver, Marshall County (Indiana) .
Wiseman later traveled to California , where he experienced the hippie movement in Haight-Ashbury in the late 1960s. In the early 1970s, he traveled with other hippies from California to Washington DC for the inauguration of Richard Nixon and worked there as a volunteer paramedic . It was during this period that he described an LSD trip under the name "Altitude Hestatic" .
Between 1972 and 1975 he attended Santa Rosa Junior College , while he worked as a paramedic infrequently, and finally moved to Cal State Hayward where he wrote his first essay on the subject of anamnesis in patient consultations . The article was reprinted in a magazine for a fee of US $ 100 and was his first publication. During the same period Wiseman began to give more and more lectures on the subjects of cardiopulmonary resuscitation , bondage and topics from the field of martial arts Taekwondo in which he holds a Dan graduation.
Between 1974 and 1976, Wiseman ran a small private ambulance company called Pioneer Ambulance Service , which was the primary emergency medical service for the Cotati community , California .
Wiseman earned his bachelor's degree in 1981 . That same year he received a Red Cross Certificate of Special Merit, signed by Ronald Reagan .
From 1982 to 1985 he attended the medical faculty at Spartan Health Sciences University, School of Medicine in St. Lucia . Due to several personal setbacks, he switched the focus of his studies from medicine to the field of journalism and published more and more frequently in various publications.
In the mid-1970s, Wiseman had first contacts with the American BDSM scene after attending meetings of the BDSM groups BackDrop and Society of Janus in the San Francisco Bay Area . In 1978 Wiseman founded his own Maledom group called the Gemini Society .
From 1988 Wiseman led workshops that gave their participants assistance in creating successful personals . This resulted in the publication of his first book Personal AD-ventures (published by Gentle Persuasion Press. ) In 1989 . His works, The Bay Area Singles Guidebook and The Bay Area Sexuality Resources Guidebook (1991), which are also predominantly distributed regionally, followed.
With the help of PCs and word processing programs that were already widely available in 1988 , Wiseman worked for the first time on a publication called SM 101 (the title pays homage to the name of the introductory events at US universities ). The manual became one of the first widely available publications providing basic information and safety warnings on BDSM practices. First self-published in 1992 , the treatise became one of the most well-known treatises on BDSM in the Anglo-Saxon region alongside Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns by Phillip Miller and Molly Devon.
In 1991 Wiseman founded the specialist publisher Greenery Press with his partner, Janet Hardy , known as Lady Green through the title The Sexually Dominant Woman .
In 1992, Wiseman published Tricks - More than 125 Ways to Make Good Sex Better and, based on the resulting readership, published Tricks 2 - Another 125 Ways to Make Good Sex Better in 1993 . Both volumes were followed by Sex Toy Tricks in 1995 : 125 Ways to Accessorize and 1996 Supermarket Tricks - More than 125 Ways to Improvise Good Sex .
In 1996 Wiseman founded his own publishing house. Since 1998 he has worked as an expert on BDSM in several legal proceedings. His focus is particularly on the areas of breath control and the question of consensuality in sadomasochistic relationships.
In 1998 Wiseman published The Erotic Bondage Handbook . Since then he has been increasingly active as a specialist speaker at events.
Legal college education
After repeated peer review, Wiseman enrolled at the New College of California, School of Law in 2002 at the age of 53. He successfully completed the course in 2005. He was admitted to the California bar in November 2006.
Wiseman has published 11 books to date. His essays appear regularly in the issues of well-known US magazines such as Playboy or Redbook:
- Jay Wiseman: SM 101: A Realistic Introduction. Greenery Press (CA) 1998, ISBN 0-9639763-8-9
- Jay Wiseman's Erotic Bondage Handbook , Greenery Press, 2000. ISBN 1-890159-13-1 .
- Personal AD ventures: How to Meet People Through Personal Ads
- Bay Area Sexuality Resources Guidebook
- Tricks - More than 125 Ways to Make Good Sex Better , 1992
- Tricks 2 - Another 125 Ways to Make Good Sex Better , 1993
- Sex Toy Tricks: 125 Ways to Accessorize , 1995
- Supermarket Tricks - More than 125 Ways to Improvise Good Sex , Greenery Press, 1998, ISBN 0-9639763-6-2
- The Toybag Guide to Dungeon Emergencies and Supplies , Greenery Press, 2004, ISBN 1-890159-54-9
- Tricks ... to Please a Man , Greenery Press, 2003, ISBN 1-890159-52-2
- Tricks to Please a Woman: To Please a Woman , Greenery Press, 2002, ISBN 1-890159-40-9
- An essay about 'The Old Days'
- Emergency Training For SM Practitioners
- Jay Wiseman on Safety , 1994
- OldRope ( June 25, 2006 memento on the Internet Archive ) (Wiseman's autobiography)
- OldRope ( Memento from June 25, 2006 on the Internet Archive ) (Some of his essays on BDSM)
- Greenery Press (website of the Greenery Press publisher)
- San Francisco Chronicle , October 19, 2001, Greenery Press specializes in off-color topics
- Submissive Women Kvetch ( October 16, 2007 memento on the Internet Archive ) - Wiseman's advice to submissive women
- San Francisco Chronicle , October 19, 2001
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wiseman, Jay Joseph (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American author and BDSM publisher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 16, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New Albany , Indiana|