Johann Baptist Wenzel Bergl
Bergl became one of the favorite painters of Empress Maria Theresia (1717–1780), for whom he created frescoes in her private apartments in the so-called three Bergl rooms in Schönbrunn Palace around 1770 , the Gisela apartment, the Goess and the Crown Prince apartments (the Frescoes were later covered with gray canvases and only removed in 1891 and restored in 1965).
In 1773 he created the fresco room for the Count family Kletzl in Donaudorf Castle near Ybbs . (The castle was blown up in 1954 as part of the construction of the Ybbs-Persenbeug power station , the removed frescoes were transferred to Laudon Castle next to the library in 1963. )
- Pielach Castle
Bergl also worked on behalf of the church:
- His main work in this area is the painting of the Klein-Mariazell collegiate church , which he carried out from 1758 to 1759.
- Pilgrimage Church Dornau (after 1774, no longer preserved)
- Ober St. Veit Castle, ceiling fresco in the Augustinian reading room (1773), once the monastery library of the Viennese court monastery of the Augustinian barefooters , since 1829 reading room of the National Library in Vienna.
- Maria Dreieichen Basilica
- Garden pavilion from Melk Abbey
- Neukloster Abbey in Wiener Neustadt
Many of his paintings show paradisiacal garden landscapes, which he integrated harmoniously into the room architecture with illusionistic skill. With its idyllic landscapes full of exotic plants and romantic scenes, Bergl created a new variation of illusion painting .
- Entry on Johann Baptist Wenzel Bergl in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Entry on Johann Baptist Wenzel Bergl in the database of the state's memory of the history of Lower Austria ( Museum Niederösterreich )
- Julius Fleischer: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 85 f. ( ). In:
- Matriculation: Trutnov church book . Ed .: Catholic Church. 1693-1730 edition. tape 35 , no. 4 . Trutnov 1719.
- Folded brochure of the Austrian Federal Chancellery "The mountain fresco in Schloss Laudon / Exotic image of a baroque performance" designed under the direction of Wolfgang Schmale, Institute for History of the University of Vienna Archive link ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The Archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Thomas Aigner: In the context of time. Johann Wenzel Bergl and the Benedictine monastery (Klein-) Mariazell in Austria . Ed .: Andreas Gamerith and P. Martin Rotheneder. Melk Abbey, Melk 2019, ISBN 978-3-9503864-4-8 , p. 55-56 .
|SURNAME||Bergl, Johann Baptist Wenzel|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 23, 1719|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Queen's Court , Bohemia|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 15, 1789|
|Place of death||Vienna|