Lothar Quinte completed an apprenticeship as a painter in Leipzig from 1937 to 1941. From 1941 he did his military service as a volunteer with a paratrooper unit, in 1945 he was briefly taken prisoner by the British. He then attended the Bernstein Abbey Art School from 1946 to 1951 , initially under the direction of Hans Ludwig Pfeiffer , then under HAP Grieshaber . From 1946 he was director of the Bernsteiner Puppenbühne and a member of the Württemberg Association of Visual Artists. In 1948 he married Herta Schmidhuber. The children Caren (1950), Miriam (1952) and Thomas (1954) were born.
In 1954 he showed his shadow play kaleidescope at the international film meeting Bad Ems , with Heinz Schanz and Kurt Frank and the shadow play curriculum vitae with Emil Kiess , Kurt Frank and Hans Günter Schmidt . 1955 was the world premiere of Schatten-Jazz und Don Casparo in Karlsruhe . In 1956 he moved to Pfullingen. The gallery window for the church of St. Bonifatius in Metzingen and the mural for the Planie-Lichtspiele in Reutlingen were created . In 1957 Quinte became a member of the German Association of Artists and created glass windows for the church in Groß Schönach and the church of St. Augustine in Esslingen-Zollberg. In 1958 he worked in the summer studio in Lauterbourg (Alsace).
From 1959 to 1960 he was a guest lecturer for free graphics at the Werkkunstschule Krefeld . Since 1960 he has had a studio in Karlsruhe. Between 1961 and 1963 he made various trips with the painter Markus Prachensky and the Stuttgart gallery owner Müller. In 1962 he married the gallery owner Helgard Rottloff . In 1964 he made the three-part west window for Lübeck Cathedral , in the same period he created the 500 m² main window of St. Mary Queen of the Holy Rosary in Ditzingen. His daughter Katharina was born.
In 1965 he designed the mural for the Bonn City Theater . In the same year his son Alexander was born. For the Vicelinkirche in Hamburg-Sasel he created stained glass windows in 1968 and a frontal tapestry in 1975. In 1969 he designed the iron curtain for the theater in Marburg, Quinte moved to Wintzenbach / Alsace, where he founded a studio. In 1974 he created the 11 × 11 m tapestry series Corona and the "Iron Curtain" for the Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe . In 1975 he experienced an artistic crisis and undertook a six-month trip around the world focusing on India and Egypt , before setting up an annual winter studio in Goa , India, from 1980 onwards . In 1977 a rainbow wall was created based on his design in the spectral hall of the Stuttgart Planetarium . In 1984 Mirjam Quinte's video 40 Years of Painting on Lothar Quinte was published in the media workshop in Freiburg. In 1987 he married the painter and performance artist Sibylle Wagner . In 1990 his daughter Norina was born.
In 1994 Rudi Bergmann made a television film about Lothar Quinte. In 2000, his last work, he created the windows for the chapel in Champenay (Alsace). Lothar Quinte died on July 29, 2000 in Wintzenbach / Alsace. In 2002, Mayor Bernadine Marbach inaugurated Place Lothar Quinte in Wintzenbach.
- 1953: Youth Art Prize
- 1956: Young West Art Prize
- 1965: 2nd Burda Prize for Painting
- 1993: Silesian Culture Prize from the State of Lower Saxony
- 1995: Professor hc of the state of Baden-Württemberg
- 1997: Lovis Corinth Prize of the Esslingen Artists' Guild
- Literature by and about Lothar Quinte in the catalog of the German National Library
- Lothar Quinte on kunstaspekte.de
- Ulrich Bergmann : Bernstein and Hans Ludwig Pfeiffer, sculptor, painter . In: Clams. Annual journal for literature and graphics . No. 39/40. Viersen 2000,
- kuenstlerbund.de: Full members of the German Association of Artists since it was founded in 1903 / Quinte, Lothar ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed on December 15, 2015)
- Photo of the main window, church interior, St. Mary Queen of the Holy Rosary
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German avant-garde painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 13, 1923|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Neisse , Silesia|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 29, 2000|
|Place of death||Wintzenbach , France|