Michael Klahr the Elder
education and profession
Michael Klahr the Elder Ä. was the son of a cottager . After his talent was discovered and promoted by Paul Stralano, the rector of the Glatzer Jesuit College , the Vienna-born sculptor Karl Sebastian Flacker took on his training. For study purposes, Klahr also drew the groups of statues on Charles Bridge in Prague based on the engravings by August Peter Neuräutter ( statue pontis Pragensis, Prague 1714 ).
Klahr's works, which were influenced by the important Bohemian sculptor Matthias Bernhard Braun , are of high artistic standing and are among the best of their time in their design. Nevertheless, his work was limited to the Glatzer country .
He created most of his works in wood, e.g. B. Altars, confessionals, church doors, pulpits, sculptures of saints and Madonna, nativity scenes and the well-known organ prospect in the parish church of Glatz. It is assumed that he used images by the Roman artist Andrea Pozzo for the design of the confessionals for the parish church in Glatz , which were presumably conveyed to him by his student Christoph Tausch , who at the same time created the high altar. Several of his works, which were compiled in a list in 1931, can no longer be found today.
In 1723 he married Catharina Mühlan and in 1724 founded a large sculptor's workshop in Bad Landeck, which was still in operation in the 19th century. Through his work he was soon very respected and became a council member of the city of Landeck. The son Michael, born in 1727, also became a sculptor and known as Michael Klahr the Younger .
- Glatz , parish and deanery church of the Assumption (= former Johanniter and Jesuit church): Altar of the Assumption; Organ prospectus with sculptures; four confessionals with angels and saints standing on them; two angels at the side of the " Madonna with the Sparrow "; Archangel Michael. The pulpit with its rich symbolism was created by Klahr at the age of 24.
- Bad Landeck , parish church of Mary's birth: crucifixion group, rectory: figure of the "risen Christ"; Cemetery: figure of the "Mater dolorosa"; Ring: Trinity Column; Klahr's house on the southwest corner of the Ring: Schutzmantelmadonna
- Ebersdorf , rectory: Figure of Christ the King
- Habelschwerdt , Florian Chapel: high altar; Mary Altar; Figures of Saints John the Baptist and John Nepomuk
- Konradswalde , Parish Church of the Holy Cross: Figure group of St. Barbara and Apollonia
- Neundorf , Church of the Assumption of Mary: two confessionals
- Rengersdorf , parish church St. Jakobus: main altar (1794) as well as side altars Holy Trinity (1735) and St. Laurentius (1735)
- Rückers , parish church of St. John the Baptist: side altars Archangel Michael and St. Joseph
- Schönfeld , parish church St. Martin: Johannes-Nepomuk-Altar, Maria-Immaculata-Altar and pulpit (Klahr's high altar was destroyed by fire in 1900). On the outer walls figures of St. Nepomuk and Martin.
- Wilhelmstal , parish church St. Joseph: side altar of St. John of Nepomuk, sculptures of Saints Joseph, Barbara and Catherine
- Winkeldorf , St. Katharina Church: Figure group of the four evangelists
- Wölfelsdorf , parish church St. Georg: high altar with the impressive figures Adam and Eve and the Hll. Gregory and Melchizedech; Pulpit with the four evangelists and the canopy, with a globe on which the blessing Christ stands. On the halo, surrounded by angels, God the Father. Klahr's works in this church are among his best creations.
- Wroclaw National Museum : Holy Family and a figure of St. Agathe
- Kłodzko Museum ( Museum Ziemi Kłodzkiej ): three putti
- Dehio Handbook of Art Monuments in Poland. Silesia. Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich et al. 2005, ISBN 3-422-03109-X , pp. 67, 71, 157, 199, 455f., 467, 517, 807, 902 and 1010.
- Peter Güttler: The Glatzer Land. A travel guide to the landscape, art and culture of the Kłodzko Mountains / Ziemia Kłodzka in Silesia. Aktion West-Ost eV, Düsseldorf 1995, ISBN 3-928508-03-2 .
- Erich Meyer: Michael Klahr the elder. His life and work. A contribution to the Silesian art history of the 18th century. Arnestus-Druckerei, Glatz 1931 (also: Breslau, Phil. Diss.).
- Romuald Nowak: Michael Klahr the Elder (1693-1742). A sculptor from County Glatz. Stiftung Kulturwerk Schlesien, Würzburg 1994, ISBN 3-929817-00-8 .
- Hugo Weczerka (Hrsg.): Handbook of the historical places . Volume: Silesia (= Kröner's pocket edition . Volume 316). Kröner, Stuttgart 1977, ISBN 3-520-31601-3 , pp. 12 and 569.
- see: Arno Herzig , Małgorzata Ruchniewicz : History of the Glatzer country. DOBU-Verlag et al., Hamburg et al. 2006, ISBN 3-934632-12-2 , p. 185.
|SURNAME||Klahr, Michael the Elder|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Klahr, Michael the Elder Ä.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1693|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bielendorf County Glatz|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 9, 1742|
|Place of death||Bad Landeck , County of Glatz|