Live and act
Thomas began playing the piano at the age of eight, initially classical music and reggae , before switching to jazz at the age of 13 under the impression of an Oscar Peterson concert. In 1979 he had first appearances, from 1986 in the formation of Ghosts with Pete McPhail and Matt Lewis . In 1988 he received a commission from the Arts Council Jazz Bursary to compose electroacoustic music , which he premiered at the Crawley Outside-In Festival of New Music in 1989 with his tentet , who u. a. Phil Minton , Phil Durrant , Marcio Mattos and Jon Corbett included .
In the early 1990s, Thomas worked with Derek Bailey , with whom he performed at the first International Symposium on Free Improvisation in Bremen, and Orkestra Kith'N Kin of Thomas Borgmann . He also played in Tony Oxley's quartet (recordings for Incus ); in Oxley's formation Angular Apron he performed with Larry Stabbins , Manfred Schoof and Sirone at the Ruhr Jazz Meeting . He also worked in various formations with Lol Coxhill , with Mike Cooper's Continental Drift , in a duo with Mark Sanders and in a trio with Steve Beresford and Francine Luce as well as with Charlotte Hug , Thurston Moore and Eugene Chadbourne . In 1992 Thomas founded the Scatter quartet , which also included Phil Minton, Roger Turner and Dave Tucker. Thomas also forms the Powerfield trio with Joe Gallivan and Gary Smith .
- New Jazz Jungle: Remembering ( Harmonia Mundi , 1997)
- Pat Thomas - Nur / Solo Piano 1999 (Emanem, 2001)
- Pat Thomas, Phil Minton, Dave Tucker, Roger Turner - Scatter ( FMR Records , 2007)
- Plays the Music of Derek Bailey & Thelonious Monk (FMR Records, 2008)
- Charles Hayward , John Coxon, Pat Thomas, Alexis Taylor: About (Treader 2009)
- 4 Compositions for Orchestra (FMR Records, 2010) with Steve Williamson , Orphy Robinson , Philipp Wachsmann
- Pat Thomas / Raymond Strid / Clayton Thomas : Wazifa (Psi, 2010)
- The Elephant Clock of Al Jazari (Otoroku, 2017)
- Lotte Anker · · Pat Thomas Ingebrigt Haker Flaten · Ståle Liavik Solberg : His Flight's at Ten (Iluso, 2018)
- Rachel Musson , Pat Thomas, Mark Sanders : Shifa: Live at Cafe Oto (2019)
- Portrait and extensive discography at Efi
- Pat Thomas at Allmusic (English)
- Pat Thomas at Discogs (English)
- Peter Margasak: Pat Thomas Explores the Work of Ahmed Abdul-Malik. February 9, 2020, accessed on March 10, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British jazz musician and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 27, 1960|