Merseburger was the second child of the painter and graphic artist Karl Erich Merseburger and his wife Gertrud, née Troeger.
He studied German , history and sociology at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg and the Philipps University of Marburg . He worked as a correspondent and editor at Der Spiegel . From January 1967 to April 1975 he was the director and presenter of the television magazine Panorama , succeeding Joachim Fest . From 1968 he was both editor-in-chief and head of the current affairs department of Norddeutscher Rundfunk . From 1977 he became the correspondent and studio manager for ARD in various capitals around the world: Washington DC (1977–1982), East Berlin (1982–1987) and London (1987–1991). Since he retired and withdrew from the television business, the Merseburg resident, who lives in Berlin and southern France, has been working as a freelance writer. He is a member of the PEN Center Germany . He became known in this role for his biographies on Kurt Schumacher , Rudolf Augstein , Willy Brandt and Theodor Heuss . Merseburger's son Stephan Merseburger ran the ZDF studio in Vienna.
- The political book of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung for the Schumacher biography (1996)
- German Book Prize for Brandt Biography (2003)
- Lighthouse Prize of the Research Network for the Augstein biography and life's work (2008)
- Honorary Citizen of Zeitz (2008)
- Federal Cross of Merit (2018)
- The unpredictable supremacy. Where is the US headed? dtv, Munich 1985, ISBN 978-3423104333 .
- Frontier workers. Interior views of the other German republic . Bertelsmann, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-570-04746-6 .
- The difficult German Kurt Schumacher. A biography . DVA, Stuttgart 1995, ISBN 342105021X .
- From the Bonn to the Berlin Republic: the public and public space in Berlin . 1998, ISBN 978-3929273182 (together with Hermann Lübbe , Jürgen Kocka and others).
- Weimar myth. Between mind and power . Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3423307871 .
- Willy Brandt, 1913–1992. Visionary and realist . DVA, Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-423-34097-5 .
- Rudolf Augstein . DVA, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3421058522 .
- Theodor Heuss. The citizen as president . DVA, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-421-04481-5 .
- On the biography of Rudolf Augstein: The Mantle of History , Hellmuth Karasek , SPIEGEL ONLINE of September 21, 2007.
- Literature by and about Peter Merseburger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Peter Merseburger receives the "Lighthouse for Special Journalistic Achievement 2008" Documentation with original sound and text versions from radio-luma
- Hella moved in today. Birth announcement for Hella Merseburger, designed by Karl Erich Merseburger, 1925.
- Hella got a little brother. Birth announcement for Peter Merseburger, designed by Karl Erich Merseburger, 1928; in the Museum Schloss Moritzburg Zeitz.
- Homepage of the Research Network (accessed on December 2, 2008)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 9, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Time|