Rattelschneck is the pseudonym of two cartoonists who, among other things Titanic , Kowalski , young world , the Süddeutsche Zeitung , the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , 11 friends and the time recorded and draw.
The name Rattelschneck is a humorous derivation of the English rattlesnake ( rattlesnake ). Of the original five members, Marcus Weimer and Olav Westphalen are still active today . Weimer (* 1963 in Munich ) and Westphalen (* 1963 in Hamburg ) met in 1986 at the University of Fine Arts in Hamburg as part of a visiting professorship from FK Waechter . They say about their program: “Rattelschneck is not a person, but a collective; founded as a utopian project ”. Rattelschneck publishes cartoons and comic strips with a very characteristic form of absurd humor. In 1993, Die Zeit wrote about Rattelschneck:
“The world of Rattelschneck is not only childlike, abysmal and extremely valuable from an educational point of view. It is also badly drawn. There is slubbing and lubrication, and the ballpoint pens spitting to themselves. This aesthetic inability is, of course, the result of a solid graphic training [...] And it is what art historiography calls a 'style', namely that of caricature brute. "
Rattelschneck's best-known figure was the talking meat salad stulle "Stulli", the main character of the comic strip Stulli, the lunch break in the satirical magazine Titanic , which was published until 2012 . Stulli, "nicely smeared with margarine and thickly covered with meat salad ", is obsessed with the desire to be eaten, which he always denies. Other characters are "Rümpfchen" (a little man without arms and legs), the "Skyfuckers", "Wonderbra Bernd", "Trompi the elephant" and "Lebkuchen Jonny". Klaus Caesar Zehrer compares "Stulli" with Robert Gernhardt's comic figure "Schnuffi":
“As a serial hero, a lunch break is undoubtedly much more stupid than a hippopotamus-like humanoid [ie Gernhardt's 'Schnuffi'], the deliberately coarse, childish drawing style of Rattelschneck supports the intended distance in delicacy more effectively than Gernhardt's clean line, and the bark as the wife of the pause gives a clean line more outlandish, less predictable punchline . The drawn nonsense has become considerably bolder and more drastic since Gernhardt's early days. "
Marcus Weimer lives in Berlin, where he works as a gagwriter for Olli Dittrich , among others . Olav Westphalen lived as a freelance artist in New York , where his sculptures and drawings were exhibited in international galleries and published in numerous books. Westphalen is now professor of performance art at the Royal Art Academy in Stockholm .
- Bernd Pfarr Special Prize for Comic Art 2007
- I don't have a brake . Lappan Verlag, 1991, ISBN 3-89082-401-3 .
- Between the ears of the white bunny . Jochen Enterprises, 1994, ISBN 3-930486-03-2 .
- More customers . Lappan Verlag, 1995, ISBN 3-89082-554-0 .
- Travel alone . Elster-Verlag, 1998, ISBN 3-89151-855-2 .
- The thick rattelschneck book . Eulenspiegel-Verlag, 2001, ISBN 3-359-01426-X .
- Male strategies . No & But, 2003, ISBN 3-0369-5216-0 .
- Architectural joke drawings . Büro Wilhelm Verlag, 2003, ISBN 3-936721-00-9 .
- Heroes and Stories: A Big Rattelschneck Book . Carlsen Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-551-68041-9 .
- Marburganderlahnbuch . Verbrecher Verlag, 2004.
- Here the viewer laughs . Lappan Verlag, 2005, ISBN 3-8303-3116-9 .
- Frankfurtmainbuch . Verbrecher Verlag, 2005.
- Welcome to America . Carlsen Verlag, 2008.
- Kester Schlenz: Confessions of an Infant . Goldmann, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-442-17344-0 .
- Christoph Drösser : Right? Modern legends put to the test . Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 2002, ISBN 3-499-61489-8 .
- Wiglaf Droste : Around the world in 80 phrases . Edition Nautilus, Hamburg 2003, ISBN 3-89401-427-X .
- Wendy Northcutt: The Darwin Awards for the Weirdest Ways to Die . Hoffmann and Campe, Hamburg 2002, ISBN 978-3-455-09363-6 .
- Christiane Tewinkel: Am I normal if I'm bored in a concert? DuMont, Cologne 2005, ISBN 978-3-8321-7860-4 .
- Nikolaus Vorteilel : You create me! How others determine your life. And how you can determine your own life . cbj , Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-570-40265-8 .
- Heroes and stories . Gallery Knoth & Krüger, Berlin-Kreuzberg 2010.
- Literature by and about Rattelschneck in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Rattelschneck at perlentaucher.de
- Homepage of Rattelschneck
- Literature by and about Olav Westphalen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Marcus Weimar in the catalog of the German National Library
- Benjamin Henrichs: The dreary and the beautiful life. A spring day in Berlin with Marcus Weimer - one of the men who are Rattelschneck. (PDF; 172 kB) In: Weekend No. 109. Süddeutsche Zeitung , May 12, 2007, p. 3 , archived from the original on September 20, 2009 ; accessed on March 2, 2014 .
- Rat snail portrait panel, 2006
- Biography of Olav Westphalen on artnet and kunstaspekte.de
- Short biographies caricatura.de
- Eulenspiegel , 41./49. Vol., No. 11/94, p. 50.
- Rattelschneck - drawing in a double pack. ( Memento from June 9, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) caricatura.de
- caricature brute . In: Die Zeit , No. 17/1993
- Klaus Caesar Zehrer : Dialectic of Satire. (PDF; 9.4 MB) uni-bremen.de, dissertation
- See Westphalens artistic curriculum vitae
- Kirsten Kumschlies: Review at KinderundJugendmedien.de, University of Bremen