Robert Boxberger (born May 28, 1836 in Gotha , † March 30, 1890 in Stadtsulza ) was a German high school teacher and literary historian .
Boxberger was the son of a chimney maker , attended grammar school in Erfurt and studied philology and history at the University of Jena from 1855 to 1858 . He received his doctorate there with a translation of the Bhagavad Gita and in 1878 took over a teaching position at the secondary school in Erfurt . From 1868 to 1876 he was also a librarian at the Royal Library in Erfurt. He then lived from 1876 to 1878 as a private scholar in Strehlen near Dresden, but then went back to Erfurt to take over a school office again, where he was appointed senior teacher in 1884. From 1885 to 1888 he was a senior teacher at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Gymnasium (Posen) . In 1888 he was retired.
Boxberger's literary history works dealt mainly with Klopstock , Lessing , Wieland , Schiller , ETA Hoffmann , Friedrich Rückert , Karl Immermann and Nikolaus Lenau . Most of this work was published in Franz Schnorr von Carolsfeld's Archive for the History of Literature (Schnorr's Archive) , in the publications of the Erfurt Academy and in the magazine for literature at home and abroad .
- The language of the Bible in Schiller's robbers . Erfurt 1867.
- Two friends of the poet Friedrich Rückert from Erfurt . Erfurt 1874.
- Prolegomena to Schiller's dramas . Erfurt 1874.
- The foreboding in Schiller's female characters . Poznan 1886.
- Lessing's works . 20 parts in 13 volumes. ( Hempel's classic editions.) Berlin 1868–1879 (Boxberger co-editor).
- Rückert studies . Gotha 1878.
- Schiller's works . New illustrated edition. 6 volumes. Berlin 1878.
- ETA Hoffmann's works . 15 parts in 9 volumes. Berlin 1879.
- Klopstock's works . 6 parts in 3 volumes. Berlin 1979.
- Correspondence between Schiller and Goethe in the years 1794-1805 . Stuttgart 1881-1882.
- Immermann's works . 20 parts in 8 volumes. Berlin 1883.
- Lessing's works . 14 parts in 18 volumes (Vol. 9.1–2 edited by Hugo Blümner .) Berlin a. Stuttgart 1883-1890 (German National Literature. Vol. 58-71).
- Friedrich Nösselt's textbook on German literature for women, especially for secondary schools for girls . 4 parts. Revised and continued to the present. 6th edition, 3 volumes. Stuttgart 1877.
- Literature by and about Robert Boxberger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Edward Schröder : Boxberger, Robert . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 47, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1903, p. 155 f.
- Article by Michael Ludscheidt about Robert Boxberger, in: Erfurter Blätter. News from the Evangelical Church District Vol. 16 [April / May 2006] 4, pp. 27–28.
- Michael Ludscheidt (2019): A “learned, humble man”. The Germanist Robert Boxberger (1836–1890). In: Tom Fleischhauer (Ed.): Heinrich-Mann-Gymnasium Erfurt, State Gymnasium "Zur Himmelspforte". A Festschrift for the 175th anniversary with school history (s) from three centuries, Erfurt, pp. 69–80.
- Kössler's Teaching Dictionary (GEB) (PDF; 10.8 MB)
- ↑ Christoph König (Ed.), With the assistance of Birgit Wägenbaur u. a .: Internationales Germanistenlexikon 1800–1950 . Volume 1: A-G. de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2003, ISBN 3-11-015485-4 , pp. 251-253.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German high school teacher and literary historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 28, 1836|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gotha|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 30, 1890|
|Place of death||Stadtsulza , Thuringia|