Tor Books primarily publishes science fiction and fantasy (SFF) literature and publishes the online science fiction magazine Tor.com . In the German-speaking area, S. Fischer Verlag , which belongs to the same publishing group, publishes SFF works that have been translated from English and original German under the imprint “FISCHER Tor” .
Tor was founded by Tom Doherty in 1980. Tor is an Old English word for a rocky hill or mountain, as depicted in the publisher's logo.
Tor Books was sold to St. Martin's Press in 1987. With St. Martin's Press, Henry Holt and Farrar, Straus and Giroux , the publishing house became part of the Holtzbrinck Group, which is now part of Macmillan in the USA . In 2019, Tor moved from the Flatiron Building to larger rooms in the Equitable Building .
In 2012, Tor was one of the first publishers to publish DRM-free e-books.
In addition to the main imprint "Tor Books", Tor also includes the imprints "Forge", under which various fictional titles are published, "Starscape" (for ages ten and over), "Tor Teen" (for ages thirteen and over) and "Tor.com “(Novellas and short stories, not to be confused with the online magazine of the same name by the same publisher).
In Great Britain, works of SFF literature are also published under the imprint “Tor UK”, as well as works based on computer games for a young audience. Science fiction classics are being reissued under “Orb Books”. "Tor Labs" publishes podcasts .
In Germany, the imprint "FISCHER Tor" was created in 2016 as part of S. Fischer Verlag , which is also part of the Holtzbrinck Group. German translations of international works as well as German-language titles are published below. FISCHER Tor also publishes the Internet magazine Tor Online , which is based on the same concept as the English language magazine Tor.com , but publishes its own content.
Authors edited by Tor Books and Forge include Kevin J. Anderson , Steven Brust , Orson Scott Card , Jonathan Carroll , Charles de Lint , Philip K. Dick , Cory Doctorow , Steven Erikson , Terry Goodkind , Steven Gould , Brian Herbert , Glen Hirshberg, Robert Jordan , Andre Norton , Harold Robbins , Brandon Sanderson , John Scalzi , VE Schwab, Skyler White and Gene Wolfe .
Tor won Locus Magazine's poll for best science fiction publisher for 29 consecutive years (1988 to 2016) .
Since 2015, according to Worlds Without End , Tor has been the science fiction, fantasy and horror publisher in the English-speaking world with the most awards and nominations, ahead of Gollancz . By 2018, Tor had received 579 nominations and 111 awards from 16 literary prizes for a total of 2353 novels by 576 authors.
- The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction: Tor Books . December 20, 2017. Archived from the original on March 21, 2018.
- locusmag: Macmillan's Move ( en-US ) In: Locus Online . June 2, 2019. Accessed June 23, 2019.
- Minotaur Books on Instagram: “Getting all settled into our brand new Minotaur HQ ✨. . #mystery #thriller #suspense #bookstagram #minotaurbooks ” ( en ) In: Instagram . Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- Tor / Forge E-book Titles to Go DRM-Free . Macmillan. April 24, 2012. Archived from the original on March 9, 2018.
- About Tor UK - A Blog from the Tor UK Team and Authors . Pan Macmillan. Archived from the original on July 24, 2017.
- Tor / Forge . In: MacMillan Publishers . Macmillan. Archived from the original on November 28, 2017.
- Announcing Tor.com the Imprint . Macmillan. May 28, 2014. Archived from the original on January 24, 2018.
- Tor Books announces a new fiction imprint dedicated to experimental storytelling . May 2, 2017. Archived from the original on September 24, 2017.
- Fischer Gate . Archived from the original on August 19, 2017.
- Locus Award Winners by Category - Publishers . In: The Science Fiction Awards Database . Archived from the original on September 4, 2017.
- Top Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror (SF / F / H) Publishers . Archived from the original on March 22, 2015.
- Top Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror (SF / F / H) Publishers . Archived from the original on March 21, 2018.