Cory Doctorow [ ˈkɒri ˈdɒktəroʊ ] (born July 17, 1971 in Toronto , Ontario ) is a Canadian science fiction writer, journalist and blogger . He won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 2000 .
He publishes his books under a Creative Commons license.
As a child of Trotskyist parents, Doctorow grew up in an activist household. As a child, Doctorow came into contact with nuclear disarmament and Greenpeace campaigns. He graduated from the anarchist SEED School, a "free school" in Toronto, and attended four universities without a degree. In 1992 he was a participant in the renowned Clarion workshop for aspiring science fiction and fantasy authors, where he subsequently also worked as a lecturer. According to him, the workshop had a decisive influence on his further life and career as a writer:
"On the first day, James Patrick Kelly looked at my work and said, 'Cory, this is totally lacking in any kind of emotional center. It's just verbal pyrotechnics. You need to figure out how to find the beating heart of a story. ' I spent sort of the next five years trying to figure out what that meant. It was quite an amazing transformation in my life. "
“On the first day, James Patrick Kelly looked at my work and said,“ Cory, this one lacks an emotional focus. This is just verbal fireworks. You have to find out where the beating heart of a story is. ”I spent the next five years trying to figure out what that meant. It was a pretty amazing life experience. "
Doctorow co-wrote the Boing-Boing blog from 2001 to 2020 . In London , he worked as European Affairs Coordinator at the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and was awarded the EFF Pioneer Award in 2007 .
In 2005 he is one of the co-founders of the Open Rights Group in England, which, like the EFF, is committed, among other things, to the liberalization of copyright law , against digital rights management and for data protection .
In addition to his writing activity, Doctorow is also active as an activist and artist. He cooperated u. a. with groups like monochrome .
Doctorow has lived in Los Angeles since summer 2006 , where he works as a visiting professor at the Fulbright Chair in Public Diplomacy at the University of Southern California . He is married and has a daughter.
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Tor Books, 2003. (Creative Commons License)
- German: Backup. Heyne 2007, ISBN 978-3-453-52297-8 .
Eastern Standard Tribe. Tor Books, 2004. (Creative Commons License)
- German: Upload. Heyne 2008, ISBN 978-3-453-52413-2 .
- Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town. Novel. Tor Books, 2005.
- Makers . Novel. Tor Books, 2009, ISBN 978-0-7653-1279-2 .
For the win. Novel. Tor Books, 2010, ISBN 978-0-7653-2216-6 .
- German: For The Win. Heyne, 2011, ISBN 978-3-453-26752-7 .
- together with Charles Stross : The Rapture of the Nerds: A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations Roman. Tor Books, 2012, ISBN 978-0765329103 .
Pirate Cinema. Tor Books, 2012, ISBN 978-0-7653-2908-0 . (Creative Commons License)
- German: Pirate Cinema. Heyne, 2014, ISBN 978-3-453-26753-4 .
Walkaway Tor Books, 2017, ISBN 978-0-7653-9276-3 .
- German: Walkaway . Heyne, 2018, ISBN 978-3-453-31793-2 .
Unauthorized Bread , Macmillan, 2019, ISBN 9781250223166
- German: How to outsmart a toaster , Heyne, 2019, ISBN 978-3-453-32015-4
"Little Brother" series of novels
1. Little Brother. , Tor Books, 2008. (Creative Commons License)
- German: Little Brother. Rowohlt, 2010, ISBN 978-3-499-21550-6 .
- various e-book formats of the German translation: Archive.org
- Audiobook : "Archive.org" .
2. Homeland. Tor Books, 2013, ISBN 978-0-7653-3369-8 . (Creative Commons License)
- German: Little Brother - Homeland. Heyne, 2013, ISBN 978-3-453-26883-8 .
Short story collections
- A Place So Foreign and Eight More. Four Walls Eight Windows, 2003.
- Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present. Thunder's Mouth Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-56025-981-7 .
- Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now. 6 short stories. Comic adaptation on Ourmedia , 2008. (Creative Commons License)
Short story (selection)
- i, robot . Hugo Award- nominated short story, at InfiniteMatrix.net, 2005.
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Science Fiction. Alpha Books, 2000.
- Essential blogging. O'Reilly and Associates, 2003.
- Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future. Tachyon Publishing, 2008, ISBN 978-1-892391-81-0 .
- Context: Further Selected Essays on Productivity, Creativity, Parenting, and Politics in the 21st Century. Tachyon Publications, 2011.
- Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age , McSweeney's, 2015, ISBN 978-1-940450-28-5 .
- Ebooks: Neither E Nor Books. San Diego 2004.
- Wikipedia: A Genuine H2G2-Minus the Editors. In: Glenn Yeffeth (Ed.): The Anthology at the End of the Universe? Benbella Books, 2005, ISBN 1-932100-56-3 , ( online ).
In real life. Illustrated by Jen Wang. Square Fish, 2014, ISBN 978-1-250-14428-7 .
- German: The real life. Illustrated by Jen Wang. Panini, 2015, ISBN 978-3957983046 .
- 2000 John W. Campbell Best New Writer Award
- 2004 Locus Award , Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom , Best First Work
- 2006 Locus Award, I, Robot , Best Story
- 2007 Locus Award, When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth , Best Narration
- 2008 Locus Award, After the Siege , Best Novella
- 2009 John W. Campbell Memorial Award , Little Brother , Best Novel
- 2009 Prometheus Award , Little Brother , Best Novel
- Uwe Neuhold: For the Win , in: The Science Fiction Year 2012 , edited by Wolfgang Jeschke , Sascha Mamczak and Sebastian Pirling, Heyne, Munich 2012, pp. 337–340. ISBN 978-3-453-52972-4
- Wolfgang Neuhaus : Little Brother , in: The Science Fiction Year 2012 , edited by Wolfgang Jeschke, Sascha Mamczak and Sebastian Pirling, Heyne, Munich 2012, pp. 341–344. ISBN 978-3-453-52972-4
- Literature by and about Cory Doctorow in the catalog of the German National Library
- Cory Doctorow on the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Works by and about Cory Doctorow at Open Library
- Cory Doctorow website (English)
- Cory Doctorow on Boing Boing
- Cory Doctorow's biography at the University of Southern California (English)
- Cory Doctorow's 2004 talk at Microsoft about DRM
- Video interview with Cory Doctorow (English with German subtitles, electrical reporter )
- Cory Doctorow on IMDB
- Anders Wright: Project Triton: New Sci-Fi Colony. ( Memento of October 2, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) In: UCSD Alumni , May 2008. UC San Diego , accessed on January 13, 2018.
- beckedahl: Instant Blitz Copy Fight Project. In: netzpolitik.org. May 22, 2007, accessed on February 24, 2019 (German).
- Tim Harford: The future perfect. In: Financial Times . July 13, 2013, p. 3.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian science fiction writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th July 1971|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Toronto|