Walter Hinderer studied German , philosophy , English and history at the Eberhard Karls University in Tübingen and the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich , where he received his doctorate with a thesis on the Austrian writer Hermann Broch . After completing his studies, he headed the scientific department of Piper Verlag in Munich until he moved to the United States in 1966 and embarked on a scientific career.
Since 1966 he taught first at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Colorado , then for seven years at the University of Maryland until he received a call to Princeton University in 1978 . Until his retirement he taught and researched there as Professor of German . From 1976 to 1977 he was also a fellow at the Institute for Research in the Humanities at the University of Wisconsin – Madison , 1985 to 1986 at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin and in 1995 at the Rosenzweig Research Center for German-Jewish Literature and Cultural History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem .
Hinderer was a trustee at the American Institute for Contemporary German Studies in Washington, DC , and has been a trustee at the Kurt Weill Foundation for Music in New York since 1996 . He is a member of the board of trustees of the Foundation for Romantic Research and a member of the executive committee of the Erich Fried Society , of which he was president from 1996 to 2001.
Hinderer devoted himself to German literature , philosophy and history from the 18th to the 20th century. In particular, he researched and published on German-language drama and poetry as well as literary criticism and literary theory . His range of courses mainly comprised the Weimar Classics , literary theory, German-language drama and poetry, Georg Büchner , Heinrich von Kleist , Heinrich Heine and contemporary German literature.
- Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon (March 20, 1995)
- Humboldt Research Award (1998)
- Golden Goethe Medal (2015)
- The “knowledge of death” in Hermann Broch's “Death of Virgil” . Uni-Druck, Munich 1961 (dissertation)
- Elements of literary criticism . Scriptor, Kronberg 1976.
- Büchner commentary on the poetic work . Winkler, Munich 1977.
- The man in history. An attempt on Schiller's "Wallenstein" . Athenaeum, Kronberg 1980.
- About German literature and speech. Historical interpretations . Wilhelm Fink, Munich 1981.
- Work on the present. On German literature after 1945 . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 1994.
- From the idea of man. About Friedrich Schiller . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 1998.
- The German Excellence Initiative and the American Elite University . Liberal. Berlin 2007.
- Schiller and no end. Metamorphoses and creative appropriations . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2009.
Editions and Editorships
- Ludwig Börne: Menzel the French eater and other writings . Insel, Frankfurt am Main 1969.
- Christoph Martin Wieland: Hann and Gulpenheh; Chess Lolo . Reclam, Stuttgart 1970.
- Modern American literary theories . With Joseph Strelka. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1970.
- German speeches . Reclam, Stuttgart 1973.
- The Sickingen debate . Luchterhand, Neuwied-Berlin 1974.
- History of political poetry in Germany . Reclam, Stuttgart 1978.
- Schiller's Dramas: New Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1979.
- Goethe's Dramas: New Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1980.
- Kleist's Dramas: New Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1981.
- Heinrich von Kleist. Plays . The Continuum Publishing Company, New York 1982.
- Literary profiles. German poets from Grimmeishausen to Brecht . Athenaeum, Königstein im Taunus 1982.
- Friedrich Schiller. Plays . The Continuum Publishing Company, New York 1983.
- History of German poetry from the Middle Ages to the present . Reclam, Stuttgart 1983.
- Brecht's Dramas: New Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1984.
- Georg Buechner. Complete Works and Letters . With Henry Schmidt. The Continuum Publishing Company, New York 1986.
- Friedrich Schiller. "Wallenstein" and "Maria Stuart" . The Continuum Publishing Company, New York 1991.
- Schiller's dramas. Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1992.
- Goethe's dramas. Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1992.
- Friedrich Schiller. Essays . With Daniel 0. Dahlstrom. The Continuum Publishing Company, New York 1993.
- Brecht's dramas. Interpretations . Reclam, Stuttgart 1995.
- Codings of love in the art period . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 1997.
- Kleist's dramas. Literature study. Interpretations . Philipp Reclam, Stuttgart 1997.
- Kleist's stories. Interpretations . Philipp Reclam, Stuttgart 1998.
- Old land, new land. Persecution, exile, biographical writing. Texts on the Erich Fried Symposium 1999 . With Claudia Holly, Heinz Lunzer, Ursula Seeber. Documentation Center for Modern Austrian Literature, Vienna 1999.
- History of German Poetry from the Middle Ages to the Present , 2nd expanded edition. Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2001 (contains the essay Lyrik heute by Theo Elm ).
- Erich Fried Symposium 2001 "All right, what's left". Historical and current critical positions in memory of Erich Fried . Documentation center for newer Austrian literature in the Literaturhaus, Vienna 2001.
- Goethe and the age of romanticism . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2002.
- Rome - Europe. Meeting point of cultures: 1780-1820 . With Paolo Chiarini. Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2006.
- Friedrich Schiller and the path to modernity . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2006.
- History of political poetry in Germany . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2007.
- Friedrich Schiller and antiquity . With Paolo Chiarini. Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2008.
- Heinrich Heine. A pioneer of modernity . With Paolo Chiarini. Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2009.
- Dieter Borchmeyer (ed.): Signatures of contemporary literature. Festschrift for Walter Hinderer . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 1999. ISBN 9783826018350
- Princeton University profile ( October 2, 2008 memento on Internet Archive )
- Brief presentation of the Literaturhaus Wien
- Literature by and about Walter Hinderer in the catalog of the German National Library
- AICGS Chairman's Council ( Memento from June 27, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Kurt Weill Foundation for Music, Board of Trustees ( Memento of the original from July 15, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Foundation for Romantic Research
- Federal President
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philologist and literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 3, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ulm|