The wine evaluations are expressed both linguistically with the special technical vocabulary of the wine language , as well as using additive number systems. The evaluation takes place after a tasting, which can be done blindly or with knowledge of the tasted wine. The tasting is used to examine, analyze , describe and classify a wine. The wine critic uses a more or less precise appearing rating scale for the classification. The common international rating systems are the 100-point or the 20-point scheme. In Germany, tests are also often carried out according to the 5-point scheme . This is even partially required by law in order to receive an official examination number.
Through their publications and media activities, wine critics have influenced the level of awareness, image , pricing and style of many wines. The wine evaluations by Robert Parker , which are controversial among experts, have a globally exposed influence on the wine industry , combined with his nominal evaluation system, the Parker points , which is based on a two-valued logic.
A frequently voiced criticism of the based on number systems scoring wine critics is that a divalent good-bad logic could the wine does not represent in its complexity, as it no inorganic, but a biochemical solution is in their appropriate judgment one more valence to bear comes. It is seen as problematic that the wine market and price developments follow Parker's point evaluations largely uncritically and guided by interests. In addition, internationally active critics and multipliers such as Robert Parker or Jancis Robinson would appear as universal judges and thereby propagate the interests of certain consumer markets as a taste standard worldwide. The result is a gradual adjustment of the traditionally grown wine and taste cultures in the wine regions to the market conformity demanded by some critics.
Well-known wine critics
Well-known international wine critics include Robert Parker, Michael Broadbent , Hugh Johnson , Michel Bettane , Oz Clarke , Antonio Galloni and Jancis Robinson . In the German-speaking area, renowned wine experts include Stuart Pigott , Armin Diel , Mario Scheuermann , Till Ehrlich , Gerhard Eichelmann , Marcus Hofschuster , Ulrich Sautter , Stephan Reinhardt, Eckhard Supp , Peter Moser , August F. Winkler , Chandra Kurt , René Gabriel , Viktor Siegl and Michael Prónay. In Italy Luigi Veronelli (1926 to 2004) was considered an influential wine critic.
- Till Ehrlich : Comments on the crisis in wine criticism. On the way to a new credibility. In: Journal Culinaire. Culture and Science of Food. No. 6, Münster 2008, Edition Wurzer & Vilgis , ISBN 978-3-941121-06-5 , pp. 48-57.
- Wirtschaftswoche: The Tremendous Power of Wine Tester Articles, Wirtschaftswoche, December 18, 2015
- DLG eV: The official quality wine test article, Wein.de magazine from DLG-Verlag, October 8, 2015
- Ulrich Sautter: Silence before the sip. A review of the wine review. Article, taz, December 22, 2007
- Till Ehrlich: Comments on the crisis of wine criticism. On the way to a new credibility. In: Journal Culinaire. Culture and Science of Food. No. 6, Münster 2008, Edition Wurzer & Vilgis, ISBN 978-3-941121-06-5 , pp. 51-57.
- Wirtschaftswoche: The tremendous power of the wine tester . In: Wirtschaftswoche , December 18, 2015.
- DLG eV: The official quality wine test . In: Wein.de Magazin, DLG-Verlag , October 8, 2015.
- Ulrich Sautter: Silence before the sip . In: the daily newspaper , December 22, 2007.