Werner Maleczek (born July 23, 1944 in Goisern ) is an Austrian historian . He taught as professor for the history of the Middle Ages and historical auxiliary sciences at the University of Graz (1989–1995) and at the University of Vienna (1995–2012).
Live and act
The son of a high school professor and a textile draftswoman grew up in Innsbruck and graduated from school there. From 1962 to 1968 he studied history and Romance philology at the Universities of Innsbruck , Vienna and Paris . He was particularly impressed by the academic teachers Michel Mollat , Bernard Guenée and Robert Delort . In 1969 he received his doctorate from Karl Pivec sub auspiciis praesidentis rei publicae in Innsbruck on diplomatic relations between Austria and France in the period from 1430 to 1474 . From 1968 to 1971 he was a scholarship holder at the Austrian Cultural Institute in Rome. There he devoted himself to researching the high medieval papacy and its sources, especially about Pope Innocent III. From 1971 to 1989 he was university assistant to his doctoral supervisor Pivec at the University of Innsbruck. The preoccupation with Innocenz III. led Maleczek to research into the functioning of papal rule, which would not be possible without qualified staff at the curia. In Innsbruck in 1978 he received his habilitation on the cardinals under Celestine III. and Innocent III. and the granting of the license to teach the history of the Middle Ages. In 1989 he succeeded Friedrich Hausmann as professor for the history of the Middle Ages and historical auxiliary sciences at the University of Graz . In Graz he dealt with topics related to the history of the Styrian region. Since the 1990s, he has intensified research into the origins of the Franciscan order and its branches as well as their formative people. From 1995 until his retirement in 2012, he taught as the successor of Othmar Hageneder as professor for medieval history and historical auxiliary sciences at the Institute for Austrian Historical Research at the University of Vienna. His second marriage is to the historian Bettina Pferschy-Maleczek. He is the father of two children.
His main research interests are the High and Late Middle Ages, constitutional history, church history and diplomacy. Maleczek has been a member of the Constance Working Group for Medieval History since 1995 . In autumn 2002 and in spring 2003 he organized and led two conferences on the subject of political integration in the Middle Ages for the Konstanz working group. In spring 2014 he organized a conference of the Constance working group on the subject of The Roman Curia and Money. From the middle of the 12th century to the early 14th century . Until then, there was a lack of studies on the history of the papacy in the Middle Ages, which also took due account of the economic side and the financing of the headquarters of Latin Christianity. The articles were published by him in 2018. Since 1996 he has been a member of the Central Management of the Monumenta Germaniae Historica , since 1997 a member of the Società internazionale di studi francescani and since 2007 a member of the Pontificio Comitato di Scienze Storiche . His account of Petrus Capuanus earned him honorary membership in the Centro di cultura e storia Amalfitana .
- Petrus Capuanus. Cardinal, legate on the 4th crusade, theologian (= publications of the Historical Institute at the Austrian Cultural Forum in Rome. Volume 8). Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1988, ISBN 3-7001-1308-0 .
- Pope and College of Cardinals from 1191 to 1216. The cardinals under Celestine III. and Innocent III. (= Publications of the Historical Institute at the Austrian Cultural Forum in Rome. Volume 6). Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1984, ISBN 3-7001-0660-2 .
- The Roman Curia and Money. From the middle of the 12th century to the early 14th century (= lectures and research. Volume 85). Thorbecke, Ostfildern 2018, ISBN 978-3-7995-6885-2
- Documents and their research. In memory of Heinrich Appelt (= publications of the Institute for Austrian Historical Research. Volume 62). Böhlau, Vienna 2014, ISBN 978-3-205-78949-9 .
- Questions of political integration in medieval Europe (= lectures and research. Volume 63). Thorbecke, Ostfildern 2005, ISBN 3-7995-6863-8 .
- Johannes Gießauf (ed.): Popes, privileges, provinces. Contributions to church, legal and regional history. Festschrift for Werner Maleczek on his 65th birthday. Böhlau, Vienna et al. 2010, ISBN 978-3-205-78577-4 .
- Entry Werner Maleczek. In: Jürgen Petersohn (Ed.): The Constance Working Group for Medieval History. The members and their work. A bio-bibliographical documentation (= publications of the Constance Working Group for Medieval History on the occasion of its fiftieth anniversary 1951–2001. Vol. 2). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-7995-6906-5 , pp. 257-260 ( digitized version ).
- Maleczek, Werner. In: Fritz Fellner , Doris A. Corradini: Austrian History in the 20th Century. A biographical-bibliographical lexicon (= publications of the Commission for Modern History of Austria. Volume 99). Böhlau, Vienna 2006, ISBN 3-205-77476-0 , p. 267 f.
- Literature by and about Werner Maleczek in the catalog of the German National Library
- Writings by Werner Maleczek in the OPAC of the Regesta Imperii
- Werner Maleczek on academia.edu
- Page from Werner Maleczek at the University of Vienna (Institute for Austrian Historical Research)
- See the reviews of Karl Borchardt in: Zeitschrift für Württembergische Landesgeschichte 78, 2019, pp. 423–425 ( online ); Immo Eberl in: Historische Zeitschrift 309, 2019, pp. 186–187; Kerstin Hitzbleck in: sehepunkte 18 (2018), No. 9 [15. September 2018], ( online )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 23, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goisern|