Édouard Vuillard (born November 11, 1868 in Cuiseaux ( Saône-et-Loire department ), † June 21, 1940 in La Baule ( Loire-Atlantique department )) was a French painter of intimism and is also counted among the Nabis artists' group .
Vuillard was close to the Impressionists . Alongside Pierre Bonnard , Maurice Denis and Paul Sérusier and his brother-in-law Ker-Xavier Roussel, he was a member of the Les Nabis group of artists . As an important graphic artist, he mainly created excellent lithographs. The magazine La Revue blanche owes him some of its best papers. For his oil paintings he developed particularly matt and transparent colors. He is considered one of the main masters of post-impressionism . Vuillard was a passionate amateur photographer who also used the photos as templates for his paintings.
Édouard Vuillard died at the age of 71 and was buried on the Parisian Cimetière des Batignolles in the family grave of the Vuillard.
- 1890–93, On the couch (white interior), oil on canvas, 32 × 38 cm, Pushkin Museum , Moscow
- 1893, reader
- 1895–98, In the Garden , Pushkin Museum, Moscow
- 1899, mother and child
- 1900, woman in the park , Clemens-Sels-Museum , Neuss
- 1912, portrait of Théodore Duret , National Gallery of Art , Washington DC
- 1937, garden in Vaucresson
- 1891, in bed
- Erika Billeter: Painting and Photography in Dialog. Benteli Verlag, Bern, 1979, pp. 84–85, ISBN 3-7165-0311-8 .
- Manuel Gasser : Édouard Vuillard . In: Architektur und Kunst , Vol. 31, Issue 11, 1944, pp. 325–330.
- Literature by and about Édouard Vuillard in the catalog of the German National Library
- Édouard Vuillard on kunstaspekte.de
- Edouard Vuillard at www.artcyclopedia
- Materials by and about Édouard Vuillard in the documenta archive
- Andreas Strobl , Édouard Vuillard. Insights into the litho workshop, exhibition catalog State Graphic Collection Munich , Berlin / Munich: Deutscher Kunstverlag 2015
- The late impressionists (Per Amann, Berghaus Verlag)
- Erika Billeter: Painting and Photography in Dialog . Ed .: Benteli Verlag, Bern. ISBN 3-7165-0311-8 , pp. 84-85 .
- knerger.de: The grave of Édouard Vuillard
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vuillard, Jean Edouard; Vuillard, Edouard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French symbolism painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 11, 1868|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cuiseaux , France|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 21, 1940|
|Place of death||La Baule , France|