Schmitt is of Alsatian descent. His parents were both PE teachers, his father a French boxing champion and his mother a running athlete. Growing up with the atheistic attitude of his parents, Schmitt confessed to Christianity after years as an agnostic . He trained as a pianist in Lyon.
He studied at the École normal supérieure in Paris (1980–1985) and received a doctorate in philosophy . His dissertation topic was Diderot and Metaphysics . He taught in Cherbourg and at the University of Chambéry for three years . First he was known as a playwright. His debut , La nuit de Valognes , was played on stages in France and abroad in 1991/1992. He was successful with his second play, Le Visiteur , for which he was awarded the Molière Theater Prize for Best Author in 1993 and the same Prize for Best Acting in 1994.
In the following years he wrote the plays Golden Joe (1995), Variations énigmatiques (1996), Le Libertin (1997), Milarepa (1997), Frédérick ou le boulevard du crime (1998), Hôtel des deux mondes (1999), Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran (1999).
In Golden Joe is about the cynical attitudes of people from the business community. In Variations énigmatiques , the author has two very different men discuss their attitudes towards life and love. Both, it turns out, loved the same woman. Typically , Le Libertin is about Diderot and was made into a film in 2000.
In 2001 Schmitt received the “ Grand Prix du Théâtre ” of the Académie française . His works have been performed in 35 countries and translated into several languages. The pieces show influences from Samuel Beckett , Jean Anouilh and Paul Claudel .
In addition to plays, Schmitt has written the novels and stories The School of Egoists , Oscar and the Lady in Pink , The Gospel According to Pilate , The Child of Noah , My Life with Mozart and Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran . The latter was filmed in 2003 under the direction of François Dupeyron with Omar Sharif in the lead role and was awarded the German Book Prize in 2004.
The world religions occupy an important place in EE Schmitt's works . In his four-part Cycle de l'invisible , Schmitt endeavors to bring religions and cultures closer together. Milarepa is the first volume in this series and presents Tibetan Buddhism . Its sequel, Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran , Schmitt dedicates to Sufism , a mystical movement in Islam that he allows to meet Judaism . Oscar and the Lady in Pink thematize Christianity and with The Child of Noah , a comparison of Judaism and Christianity, Schmitt rounded off the tetralogy.
In 2001 Schmitt's novel Adolf H. Zwei Leben (German 2008) was published. This alternative world novel ( counterfactual story ) describes two different life paths of Adolf Hitler, which run parallel. In one version Schmitt tells the real life of Hitler, in the other version he was not rejected at the Vienna Art Academy in 1908, but accepted. So he doesn't become a dictator either.
In 2009 Schmitt directed the film adaptation of his novel Oscar and the Lady in Pink . The University of Koblenz-Landau awarded him a poetics lectureship in January 2014.
Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt now lives in Brussels, having also lived in Paris and Ireland, and has had both French and Belgian citizenship since 2008.
- La Nuit de Valognes . 1991.
- The visitor . ( Le Visiteur , 1993). Libelle, Lengwil 1997, ISBN 3-909081-05-3 .
- Golden Joe. 1995.
- L'École du diable . 1996.
- Enigma ( Variations énigmatiques. 1996). Dragon-fly. (2nd combined edition. Lengwil 1999, ISBN 3-909081-06-1 )
- The free spirit ( Le Libertin. 1997). Libelle, Lengwil 1997, ISBN 3-909081-07-X .
- Milarepa. 1997.
Frédérick ou le boulevard du crime. 1998.
- Collected pieces (Frédérick or Boulevard des Verbrechens / The Visitor / The Free Spirit / Enigma). Libelle, Lengwil 1999, ISBN 3-909081-04-5 .
- Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran. 1999.
- Le Bâillon. 1999.
- Hotel to the two worlds . ( Hôtel des deux mondes. 1999). Libelle, Lengwil 2001, ISBN 3-909081-02-9 .
- Mille et un jours. 2000.
- Oskar and the lady in pink. ( Oscar et la dame rose. 2002)
- Small marriage crimes. ( Petits crimes conjugaux , 2003). Ammann (= meridians. 98 ). Zurich 2006
Mes Évangiles :
- L'Évangile selon Pilate. 2004.
- La nuit des oliviers . 2004.
- Ma vie avec Mozart. 2005.
- La Tectonique des sentiments. 2008.
- Si on recommençait. 2014.
- Monsieur Ibrahim and the flowers of the Koran . ( Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran. 2001). (= Meridians. 55). Narrative. German by Annette and Paul Bäcker. Ammann Verlag , Zurich 2003 ( 1st place on the Spiegel bestseller list from May 12th to 18th and from June 2nd to June 8th, 2003 )
- Oskar and the lady in pink . ( Oscar et la dame rose. 2002). (= Meridians. 57). Narrative. German by Annette and Paul Bäcker. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2003
- The school of the egoists . ( La Secte des égoïstes. 1994). (= Meridians. 61). Novel. German by Inés Koebel . Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2004
- Noah's child . ( L'Enfant de Noé. 2004). Narrative. German by Inés Koebel. Ammann Verlag (= Meridiane. 76 ). Zurich 2004
- The gospel according to Pilate . ( L'Évangile selon Pilate. 2000). (= Meridians. 64). Novel. German by Brigitte Große. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2005
- Milarepa . Narrative ( Milarepa. 1997). (= Meridians. 99). German by Inés Koebel. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2006
- Odette Toulemonde and other stories. ( Odette Toulemonde et autres histoires. 2006). (= Meridians. 108). German by Inés Koebel. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2007
- Adolf H. Two lives . ( La Part de l'autre. 2001). (= Meridians. 107). Novel. German by Klaus Laabs. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2008.
- When I was a work of art . ( L'orsque j'étais une oeuvre d'art. 2002). Novel. German by Inés Koebel. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2009.
- About sumo who couldn't get fat. ( Le sumo qui ne pouvait pas grossir. 2009). (= Meridians. 137). German by Klaus Laabs. Ammann Verlag, Zurich 2010.
- The dreamer of Ostend. ( La rêveuse d'Ostende. 2007). Stories. German by Inés Koebel. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt 2011.
- The woman in the mirror . ( La femme au miroir. 2011). Novel. German from Marlene Frucht. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2012.
- Odysseus from Baghdad. ( Ulysse from Baghdad. 2008). Novel. German from Marlene Frucht. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2015.
La vengeance du pardon. Albin Michel, Paris 2017.
- The vengeance of forgiveness: narratives . Marlene Frucht in Romanian. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2018, ISBN 978-3-10-397384-6 .
- Diderot ou la philosophie de la séduction , 1997
- My life with Mozart , German by Inés Koebel. With an audio CD ( Ma vie avec Mozart , 2005). (= Meridians. 85). Ammann, Zurich 2005
- Wolfgang Schwarzer: Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt. In: Jan-Pieter Barbian (Red.): Vive la littérature! French literature in German translation. Edited and published by Duisburg City Library . ISBN 978-3-89279-656-5 , p. 37 with ill.
- Literary source and script
- 2000: Love and Freedom ( Le Libertin ) - Director: Gabriel Aghion
- 2003: The Unknown from the Seine ( Aurélien ) (TV movie) - Director: Arnaud Sélignac
- 2003: Dangerous Liaisons ( Les Liaisons dangereuses ) (TV miniseries) - Director: Josée Dayan
- 2003: Monsieur Ibrahim and the flowers of the Koran ( Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran ) - Director: François Dupeyron
- 2005: Enigma - An unacknowledged love (TV film) - Director: Volker Schlöndorff
- 2007: Odette Toulemonde - also director
- 2009: Oskar and the Lady in Pink ( Oscar et la dame rose ) - also directed
- Literature by and about Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Website by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt ( Memento of November 11, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Short biography and reviews of works by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt at perlentaucher.de
- Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt: Monsieur Ibrahim and the flowers of the Koran. (Original title: Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran. Michell, Paris 2001). Translated by Annette and Paul Bäcker. Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag , Frankfurt am Main 2004, ISBN 3-596-16117-7 , p. 4.
- Oscar and the Lady in Pink (film) in the IMDb
- The French author Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt is the next owner of the Landau poetics lectureship. uni-koblenz-landau.de ( Memento from February 3, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Académie Goncourt Actualités
- Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt: Monsieur Ibrahim and the flowers of the Koran. 2004, ISBN 3-596-16117-7 , p. 4.
- Ils sont devenus belges. In: La Dernière Heure. June 14, 2008, accessed on dhnet.be on September 22, 2008.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French and Belgian novelist, playwright and film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 28, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sainte-Foy-lès-Lyon|