Wesseltoft started out in a punk band, but he didn't really enjoy it. He met Nils Petter Molvær and they founded a jazz quartet whose compositions Wesseltoft enriched with effects elicited by his Atari ST . He still lacked the experience to generate rhythm. In retrospect, he is self-critical of his first albums because of his technical beginner knowledge.
Wesseltoft is considered the “mastermind” of a new generation of musicians who fuse classical jazz with electronic music. Under the name New Conception of Jazz , Wesseltoft strives for a synthesis of live electronics and the means of improvised jazz. In addition, he also repeatedly devotes himself to purely acoustic piano playing. With his own music label Jazzland , founded in 1996 , he has created a platform for the Norwegian scene that enables artistic freedom beyond the mainstream. He is considered an integrating figure in the Norwegian jazz scene and worked a. a. with Jan Garbarek , Sidsel Endresen , Eivind Aarset and Ingebrigt Håker Flaten . He is also internationally recognized and cooperated e.g. B. with Henrik Schwarz , Miki N'Doye or John Scofield . With Dan Berglund and Magnus Öström he had success in the Trio Rymden .
In 2004 he received a buddy prize .
Wesseltoft on the Norwegian jazz scene:
“The local scene is very open. Already in the 80s there were strong connections between the folk scene and jazz. Today there is a bigger exchange between the electronic and the jazz scene, which I personally find much more interesting. "
- New Conception of Jazz (1997)
- It's Snowing on My Piano (1997) (DE: platinum in Jazz Award)
- Duplex Ride (1998)
- New Conception of Jazz - Sharing (1999)
- Nightsong (1999)
- New Conception of Jazz - Moving (2001)
- Out here, in there with Sidsel Endresen (2002)
- New Conception of Jazz - Live (2003)
- New Conception of Jazz - Film'ing (2004)
- In (2007)
- Public Outburst feat. Laurent Garnier , Philippe Nadaud & Benjamin Rippert (2007)
- Playing (2009)
- Wesseltoft Schwarz Duo with Henrik Schwarz (2011)
- Songs (2012)
- Last Spring with Henning Kraggerud (2012)
- Trialogue with Henrik Schwarz and Dan Berglund (2014)
- Bugge & Friends (2015), with Erik Truffaz , Ilhan Ersahin , Joe Claussell, Marius Reksjø , Erik Holm , Andreas Bye as well as Beate S. Lech and Torun Eriksen
- Everybody Loves Angels (2017)
- It's Snowing on My Piano (2018)
- Bugge Wesseltoft on laut.de
- Gold / platinum database of the Federal Association of the Music Industry, accessed June 11, 2016
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wesseltoft, Jens Christian Bugge (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Norwegian jazz musician and pianist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 1, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Porsgrunn , Norway|