David Starr Jordan
David Starr Jordan (born January 19, 1851 in Wyoming County , New York , † September 19, 1931 in Stanford , California ) was an American zoologist , ichthyologist , botanist , eugenicist and peace activist . Its official botanical author abbreviation is " DSJord. ".
Jordan was born in 1851 to a farming family in Wyoming County , New York State . In 1866 he went to the newly founded Cornell University in Ithaca as a student and obtained a master’s degree there in 1872 . Since the beginning of 1870 he had a teaching position for botany there . In late 1872 he moved to Indianapolis and graduated from Indiana Medical College with a doctorate in medicine in 1875 . In 1878 he received another doctorate ( PhD ) from Butler University . In the same year he received a professorship in natural sciences at Indiana University . In 1885 he became president of the university. In 1891 he became the first president of Stanford University . In 1913 he moved to the post of university chancellor in order to have more time for his peace activities. Jordan retired in 1916. Since 1905 he was a member of the American Philosophical Society . Jordan Cove , a bay on the south coast of Bird Island , South Georgia , is named in his honor .
- Manual of the Vertebrates of the Northern United States (1876)
- Imperial Democracy (1898)
- Life's Enthusiasms (1906)
- War and the Breed: The Relation of War to the Downfall of Nations. (Boston 1915)
- Days of a Man (1922) - autobiography
- The Blood of the Nation (1902)
- War and Waste (1913)
- Ways of Lasting Peace (1916)
- Democracy and World Relations (1918)
- Shore Fishes of Hawaii
- Edward McNall Burns: David Starr Jordan: Prophet of Freedom . Stanford 1953
- Alice N. Hays: David Starr Jordan: A Bibliography of His Writings 1871-1931 . Stanford 1952
- Author entry and list of the plant names described for David Starr Jordan at the IPNI
- History of Stanford motto, with Jordan bio info (English)
- Member History: David S. Jordan. American Philosophical Society, accessed October 15, 2018 .
|SURNAME||Jordan, David Starr|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American zoologist, ichthyologist, botanist, eugenicist, and peace activist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1851|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wyoming County , New York|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 19, 1931|
|Place of death||Stanford|