John L. Hennessy
John LeRoy Hennessy (born September 22, 1952 in Huntington , New York ) is an American professor of electrical engineering and computer science . He is a co-founder of MIPS Computer Systems Inc. From 2000 to 2016, Hennessy was President of Stanford University . A year earlier, he followed Condoleezza Rice on the post of Provost at the same university. Hennessy has been a member of the Google / Alphabet Board of Directors since 2006 and its chairman since February 2018.
He is the author of several specialist books, such as Computer Architecture. A Quantitative Approach together with David A. Patterson , with whom he received the John von Neumann Medal in 2000 “for initiating a computer architecture revolution through research, popularization and commercialization of architectural innovations” . Hennessy was awarded the IEEE Medal of Honor in 2012. In addition to this monograph, both published an introductory textbook on computer architecture. In 2001 he received the Eckert-Mauchly Award and in 2001 the Seymour Cray Award . He was also elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1992 , the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1995 , the National Academy of Sciences in 2002 and the American Philosophical Society in 2008.
- David Patterson, John Hennessy: Computer Organization and Computer Design: The Hardware / Software Interface . 5th edition. De Gruyter, 2016, ISBN 978-3-11-044605-0 .
- English edition: Computer Organization and Design, The Hardware / Software Interface , ARM Edition, The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design, Morgan Kaufmann, 2017, ISBN 0-12-374493-8 (with contributions by Alexander Perry)
- David Patterson, John Hennessy: Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach , with contributions by David Goldberg, Krste Asanovic, 5th edition, Elsevier 2012 (first 1990)
- German edition: Computer architecture: analysis, design, implementation, evaluation , Vieweg 1994 (edited by Dieter Jungmann)
- Management team ( Memento from January 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Members: John L. Hennessy. National Academy of Engineering, accessed September 28, 2018 .
- Member History: John L. Hennessy. American Philosophical Society, accessed September 28, 2018 (with biography).
- Biography (English)
|SURNAME||Hennessy, John L.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hennessy, John LeRoy|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American computer scientist, President of Stanford University|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 22, 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Huntington, New York , New York, State|