Ivan Edward Sutherland (born May 16, 1938 in Hastings , Nebraska ) is a pioneer of computer graphics . His Sketchpad program , which he developed as part of his doctoral thesis at MIT in 1963 , is considered one of the first interactive graphics applications . He also developed the first virtual reality system and the Cohen-Sutherland algorithm and received the Turing Award in 1988 for his achievements in computer graphics.
Sutherland studied electrical engineering with a bachelor's degree in 1959 at the Carnegie Institute of Technology , a master's degree in 1960 at the California Institute of Technology and a Ph.D. 1963 at MIT.
Sutherland was a professor at Harvard University from 1966 to 1967 , at the University of Utah from 1968 to 1976 and at the California Institute of Technology from 1976 to 1980 .
In 1968 he founded with David Evans , the company Evans & Sutherland , and in 1980 with Bob Sproull Sutherland, Sproull and Associates , which in 1990 by Sun Microsystems was bought. Sutherland is now a Fellow and Vice President emeritus at Sun , and has been a visiting scholar at Portland State University since 2009 .
- 1973: Member of the National Academy of Engineering
- 1978: Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1986: IEEE Emanuel R. Piore Award
- 1988: Turing Award
- 1994: EFF Pioneer Award and Fellow of the ACM
- 1994: Admission to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1966: ComputerWorld Smithsonian Award
- 1998: John von Neumann Medal
- 2004: R&D 100 Awards
- 2005: Fellow of the Computer History Museum
- 2012: Kyoto Prize
- 2016: National Inventors Hall of Fame
- 2018: BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award
- Head-Mounted Display (English)
- Article in DER TAGESSPIEGEL digital pioneers (68 and 69): Ivan Sutherland and James Clark
- ↑ National Academy of Engineering ( Memento of the original from May 29, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ^ National Academy of Sciences
- ↑ ACM
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sutherland, Ivan Edward|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American pioneer of computer graphics|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 16, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hastings , Nebraska|