At the first orienteering European championships in Løten in 1962 , Kohvakka was almost eleven minutes behind the winner Magne Lystad from Norway, fifth in the individual competition over 16.5 km and 13 posts. The Finnish team consisting of Aimo Tepsell , Esko Vainio , Rolf Koskinen and Erkki Kohvakka won the relay competition . However, the relay race was not an official part of the competition program of the first European championships. Two years later Kohvakka was able to win the European Championships in Le Brassus in Switzerland. He won by almost two minutes ahead of the Swiss Alex Schwager and Aimo Tepsell. As the final runner, he also won another gold medal with the Finnish relay consisting of Juhani Salmenkylä , Rolf Koskinen and Aimo Tepsell. In 1966, the same season won the silver medal at the first world championships in Fiskars, Finland . In the individual competition Kohvakka finished eleventh in 1966.
Kohvakka, who won seven Finnish championship titles, belonged to the Kangasniemen Kalske club .
- Vice world champion in 1966 with the relay
- European champion in individual competition in 1964
- European champion in 1964 with the relay
- Nordic champion in 1961 in the individual competition
- Nordic champion in 1963 with the relay
- Finnish champion over the normal distance in 1961
- Finnish long distance champion in 1962 and 1963
- Finnish champion in night running in 1962, 1963, 1965 and 1966
- Erkki Kohvakka on kuollut. In: suunnistusliitto.fi. February 5, 2018, accessed April 26, 2018 (Finnish).
- vaajkoskentera.com: YÖN HALLITSIJAT 1955-2010
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Finnish orienteer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 2, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kangasniemi , Finland|
|DATE OF DEATH||23rd January 2018|