Sprockhoff was initially a teacher and also studied prehistory. Since 1922 Sprockhoff was a member of the Reich Association for German Prehistory . He received his doctorate from the University of Königsberg in 1924 . From 1926 to 1928 he worked at the Provincial Museum in Hanover and from 1928 to 1935 at the Roman-Germanic Central Museum in Mainz . From 1935 to 1945 he was the first director of the Roman-Germanic Commission in Frankfurt am Main and from 1947 until his retirement in 1958 as professor for prehistory at the University of Kiel .
From 1931 Sprockhoff was a corresponding and from 1934 a full member of the German Archaeological Institute . Sprockhoff was a member of the Stahlhelm and belonged to the SA even before 1933, the year the National Socialists “ seized power ” . In 1933 he became a member of the National Socialist Teachers' Association , and in 1937, after the ban on admission was relaxed , also a member of the NSDAP .
The now outdated term Nordic giant stone graves goes back to Sprockhoff. Sprockhoff systematically recorded around 900 German megalithic systems in a numbered catalog. The so-called Sprockhoff number is still used today to identify the systems. See also : List of North German megalithic systems by Sprockhoff number
- The Germanic finger tongue swords (= Roman-Germanic research 5). de Gruyter, Berlin, Leipzig 1931.
- The Germanic full-grip swords of the younger Bronze Age (= Roman-Germanic research 9). de Gruyter, Berlin, Leipzig 1934.
- Young Bronze Age hoard finds in Northern Germany (period IV) , Mainz 1937.
- The Nordic megalithic culture (= manual of the prehistory of Germany Volume 3) de Gruyter, Berlin, Leipzig 1938.
- Young Bronze Age hoards in the southern zone of the Nordic region (period V). Mainz 1956.
- Atlas of the megalithic tombs , part 1–3. Rudolf Habelt Verlag Bonn 1966–1975.
- Kurt Böhner : In memory of Ernst Sprockhoff. In: Yearbook of the Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseums 14 (1967), pp. IX – XXVIII.
- Friedrich Wagner : Ernst Sprockhoff, August 6, 1892 - October 1, 1967. In: Bavarian Academy of Sciences. Yearbook 1968, pp. 192-200.
- C. Misamer: Ernst Sprockhoff. In: Studies on the concept of culture in research on prehistory and early history. Bonn 1987, pp. 87-99.
- Wolfgang Pape: Ten prehistorians from Germany . In: Heiko Steuer (Ed.): An outstanding national science . Supplementary volumes to the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde, Vol. 29. de Gruyter, Berlin 2001. ISBN 3-11-017184-8 , pp. 55–88.
- Karl-Heinz Willroth : Ernst Sprockhoff and the Nordic Bronze Age . In: Heiko Steuer (Ed.): An outstanding national science . Supplementary volumes to the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde, Vol. 29. de Gruyter, Berlin 2001. ISBN 3-11-017184-8 , pp. 109–149.
- Ernst Klee : The cultural lexicon for the Third Reich. Who was what before and after 1945. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2007, ISBN 978-3-10-039326-5 , p. 581.
- Literature by and about Ernst Sprockhoff in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography of Ernst Sprockhoff
- Ernst Sprockhoff obituary in the 1968 yearbook of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (PDF file).
- Members of the previous academies. Ernst Sprockhoff. Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences , accessed on June 19, 2015 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German prehistorian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 6, 1892|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 1, 1967|
|Place of death||Kiel|