Bezold studied medicine in Munich, Erlangen and Würzburg from 1860 to 1866 . Then he settled in Munich as an ophthalmologist. In 1877 he completed his habilitation in otology (ear medicine). From 1878 he headed the otiatric outpatient clinic at the University of Munich . He became associate professor in 1886 and full professor in 1906. He also had the title of court counselor .
He died on the night of October 5th to 6th, 1908 in Munich.
The following deonyms are named after Bezold :
- the Bezold abscess (Bezold mastoiditis ), an abscess formation through the mastoid process of the temporal bone into the sternocleidomastoid muscle , a rare complication of acute otitis media
- the associated Bezold sign (swelling below the tip of the mastoid process),
- the Bezold test with tuning fork for deafness,
- the Bezold triad in otosclerosis ( loss of hearing for low tones, slowed bone conduction , negative failure of the Rinne test ) and
- the Bezold Edelmann scale (after Max Thomas Edelmann ), a set of tuning forks, pipes and monochords with which all audible pitches can be generated.
- Antiseptic treatment of the central dilatation. Tröltsch 'Archive for Ear Medicine, Leipzig.
- Experimental studies on the sound conduction apparatus of the ear. Tröltsch 'Archive for Ear Medicine, Leipzig.
- Diseases of the wart part. Tröltsch 'Archive for Ear Medicine, Leipzig.
- Otomycosis. In: Lectures on the aetiology of infectious diseases. Munich, 1881.
- Fibrinous exudate on the eardrum. Virchow's Archive for Pathological Anatomy and Physiology, and for Clinical Medicine, Berlin
- The perforation of the wart from the anatomical point of view. Monthly for ear medicine, Berlin.
- The corrosion anatomy of the ear . Munich 1882
- School examinations on the child's hearing organ . Wiesbaden, 1885
- Labyrinth necrosis and paralysis of the facial nerve . Wiesbaden, 1886
- The diseases of the wart part. In: Black . Handbook of Ear Medicine , 1893.
- Survey of the current state of otology . Wiesbaden, 1895
- The hearing ability of the deaf and mute . Wiesbaden, 1896
- About the functional testing of the human auditory organ. Collected treatises and lectures. 3 volumes, Wiesbaden, JF Bergmann, 1897–1909.
- Textbook of otology for doctors and students in 32 lectures . Wiesbaden, Bergmann, 1906
The Bezold monument with a fountain is located in Munich's Nussbaumpark .
- Adam Politzer : History of Ear Medicine. 2 volumes, Enke, Stuttgart 1907 and 1913, Volume 2 (From 1850 to 1911), pp. 271–273.
- Wolfgang G. Locher: Bezold, Friedrich. In: Werner E. Gerabek , Bernhard D. Haage, Gundolf Keil , Wolfgang Wegner (eds.): Enzyklopädie Medizingeschichte. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, ISBN 3-11-015714-4 , p. 173.
- Literature by and about Friedrich Bezold in the catalog of the German National Library
- Wolfgang Locher, Florian Steger. Big names and important work in the MMW. MMW-progress of medicine , No. 48 (2008), pp. 9 and 10 ( link subject to charge )
- Wolfgang G. Locher: Bezold, Friedrich. In: Werner E. Gerabek , Bernhard D. Haage, Gundolf Keil, Wolfgang Wegner (eds.): Enzyklopädie Medizingeschichte. Gruyter, 2004, ISBN 3-11-015714-4 , p. 173.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physician in the field of ear, nose and throat medicine|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 9, 1842|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rothenburg ob der Tauber|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 5, 1908|
|Place of death||Munich|