George Hugh Niederauer
George Niederauer was born as the only child of George and Elaine Niederauer. He attended St. Catherine's Military Academy in Anaheim from 1946 to 1950. In 1954 he graduated from St. Anthony's High School in Long Beach. At St. John Seminary he received his bachelor's degree in philosophy in 1959 and his bachelor's degree in theology from the Catholic University of America in Washington DC in 1962 . In addition, he completed a master's degree in English literature from Loyola University in Los Angeles in 1962 and a PhD in literature from the University of Southern California in 1966 .
On April 30, 1962, he was ordained a priest . From 1963 to 1965 he served in the Holy Name of Jesus Parish in Los Angeles. From 1972 to 1992 Niederauer was professor of English literature at St. John's Seminary in Camarillo , as well as spiritual and from 1987 to 1992 rector of St. John's Seminary .
On November 3, 1994 Niederauer was appointed Bishop of Salt Lake City , Utah, by Pope John Paul II . He was ordained episcopal on January 25 of the following year by the Archbishop of Los Angeles , Cardinal Roger Michael Mahony . Co- consecrators were the Archbishop of Portland, Oregon , William Joseph Levada , and the Bishop of Boise City , Tod David Brown . He was particularly committed to communication with the various social classes, in particular the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( Mormonism ) in Utah.
On December 15, 2005 he was welcomed by Pope Benedict XVI. appointed Archbishop of San Francisco, successor to Cardinal William Joseph Levada. The inauguration took place on February 15, 2006. On July 27, 2012 Benedict XVI. the resignation put forward by George Hugh Niederauer for reasons of age. He was chairman of the Social Communications Committee of the United States Bishops' Conference and a member of the Pontifical Council on Social Communications .
Order of Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem
George Hugh Niederauer was a member of the Order of Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem . In 2005 he was named Grand Prior of the USA Northwestern Lieutenancy by John Patrick Foley , Cardinal Grand Master of the Papal Order of Knights.
In 2008 he was also accepted as an honorary conventual chaplain (ad honorem) to the Western Association of the United States in the Order of Malta .
- Precious as Silver: Imagining Your Life with God , Ave Maria Press 2003
- Sara Weber: Former Bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City, George H. Niederauer, has died . KUTV, May 2, 2017, accessed on May 12, 2017.
- Archbishop George H. Niederauer dead at 80 . ( Memento of the original from January 31, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Catholic San Francisco website , May 2, 2017, accessed May 12, 2017.
AG Reyes Statement on the Death of Catholic Bishop George H. Niederauer . Catholic San Francisco website , May 2, 2017, accessed May 12, 2017.
Peggy Fletcher Stack: Bishop George Niederauer - 'the soul of goodness' and former leader of Utah Catholics - dies at age 80 . The Salt Lake Tribune , May 2, 2017, accessed May 12, 2017.
- Newsletter USA Western Lieutenancy Fall 2009. (PDF, 3.8 MB) Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem — Western USA Lieutenancy, October 30, 2009, archived from the original on May 22, 2015 ; accessed on May 12, 2017 (English).
- The Journal. (PDF, 1.8 MB) (No longer available online.) Order of Malta, 2008, formerly in the original ; accessed on May 12, 2017 (English). ( Page no longer available , search in web archives )
|SURNAME||Niederauer, George Hugh|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Niederauer, George H.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American clergyman and literary scholar, Roman Catholic Archbishop of San Francisco, Grand Prior of the Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 14, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||los Angeles|
|DATE OF DEATH||2nd May 2017|
|Place of death||San Rafael|