George Wildman Ball
He became known as the mouthpiece of the pacifism movement against the Vietnam War when it escalated in the 1960s. Under President John F. Kennedy he was from February to December 1961, first under-secretary in the State Department of the United States with responsibility for economic affairs ( Under Secretary for Economic Affairs ). He then rose to the United States Under Secretary of State , which he was from December 4, 1961 to December 30, 1966 Deputy Secretary of State Dean Rusk under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson . From June 26 to September 25, 1968, he served as US Ambassador to the United Nations .
- George Ball: The Past Has Another Pattern: Memoirs . WW Norton & Company , 1983, ISBN 0-393-30142-7 .
- George W. and Douglas B. Ball: The Passionate Attachment: America's Involvement With Israel, 1947 to the Present . WW Norton & Company, 1992, ISBN 0-393-02933-6 .
- David Dileo: George Ball, Vietnam, and the Rethinking of Containment . University of North Carolina Press, 1991, ISBN 0-8078-4297-4 .
- James Bill: George Ball: Behind the Scenes in US Foreign Policy . Yale University Press, 1997.
- Biography (English) with picture
- Cold War International History Project's Cold War Files
- Bio at Northwestern University
- Bio at Montgomery Endowment
- Profiles: George Ball , The Center for Cooperative Research
- Memorandum for the President from George Ball, "A Compromise Solution in South Vietnam"
- Memo from George Ball to McNamara
- Personal papers at National Archives Records
- George W. Ball. How to save Israel in spite of herself , Foreign Affairs , The Council on Foreign Relations , April 1977.
- George W. Ball. The Coming Crisis in Israeli-American Relations , Foreign Affairs , The Council on Foreign Relations , Winter 1979.
- George W. Ball. The conduct of American foreign policy , Foreign Affairs , The Council on Foreign Relations , 1980.
- James A. Bill. George Ball: Behind the Scenes in US Foreign Policy
- Robert Dallek. George Ball: Behind the Scenes in US Foreign Policy , The Washington Monthly , July 1997.
- Richard Curtiss. George Ball's Middle East views were muffled by US media , Washington Report On Middle East Affairs, July 1994.
- William Engdahl. George Ball's role in the 1979 Iranian Revolution , Payvand News, March 10, 2006.
- Book review of biography on George Ball ( Memento of February 24, 2001 in the Internet Archive )
|SURNAME||Ball, George Wildman|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ball, George|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American lawyer, politician, and diplomat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 21, 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Des Moines , Iowa|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 26, 1994|
|Place of death||New York City|