Hans Lietzmann (theologian)
Lietzmann studied theology and classical philology in Jena and Bonn with Hermann Usener , Franz Bücheler , the theologian Eduard Grafe and the archaeologist Georg Loeschcke . During his studies in 1893 he became a member of the St. Pauli Jena choir . In Bonn he passed the theological candidate exam in 1896, the senior teacher exam in 1898 and qualified as a professor for church history in 1900. In 1905 Lietzmann became professor of church history in Jena , and in 1923 he succeeded Adolf von Harnack at the Berlin Friedrich Wilhelms University . The Royal Prussian Academy of Sciences elected him a member in 1927. In Berlin he was also Ephorus of the evangelical-theological Konvikt Johanneum from 1926 to 1942 .
Hans Lietzmann was also a member of the Berlin Wednesday Society . Scientific trips took him to the manuscript libraries in Vienna, Basel, Zurich, Venice, Milan, Genoa, Florence, Rome, Petersburg and Moscow.
Lietzmann combined research on the history of the New Testament , church and liturgy with classical philology , Christian archeology and comparative religious studies and was the editor of numerous standard theological works. Among other things, he was co-founder and until 1942 co-editor of the real dictionary for antiquity and Christianity .
During the First World War he worked for the Red Cross. He married in 1919 and had three children, including the journalist Sabina Lietzmann . His only son died in the east in 1941.
Lietzmann found his final resting place in the Wilmersdorf cemetery in Berlin.
- Honorary doctorate from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Honorary doctorate from the Friedrich Schiller University Jena
- History of the Old Church. Verlag de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1999, ISBN 3-11-016498-1 .
- The Muratoric Fragment and the Monarchian Prologues to the Gospels (= small texts for theological lectures and exercises. Ed. By Hans Lietzmann. Vol. 1). A. Marcus and E. Weber's Verlag, Bonn 1902 ( online at archive.org ).
- Calculation of the time of the Roman Empire, the Middle Ages and the modern age for the years 1–2000 AD. 4th edition. Reviewed by Kurt Aland . Verlag de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1984, ISBN 3-11-010049-5 .
- Kurt Aland (ed.): Splendor and decline of the German university. 50 years of German science history in letters to and from Hans Lietzmann . de Gruyter, Berlin 1979, ISBN 3-11-004980-5 .
- Small fonts . Three volumes. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1958–1962.
- Mass and Lord's Supper. A study of the history of the liturgy. 3. Edition. Verlag de Gruyter, Berlin 1955. ( 1st edition, A. Marcus and E. Webers, Bonn 1926 online )
- Peter and Paul in Rome. Liturgical and archaeological studies . Marcus and Weber, Bonn 1915.
- How did the books of the New Testament become scriptures? Five lectures . Mohr, Tübingen 1907.
- Catenas. Messages about their history and handwritten tradition . Mohr, Tübingen 1897.
- The Son of Man. A contribution to New Testament theology . Mohr, Freiburg / Br. 1896.
In memory of Hans Lietzmann, the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and the Theological Faculty of the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena hold an annual public Hans Lietzmann lecture as part of the research project The Greek Christian Writers .
- Heinrich Bornkamm : Hans Lietzmann in memory. In: The ancient world . Vol. 19. Berlin 1943, pp. 81-85.
- Ludwig Radermacher : Hans Lietzmann . In: Almanac of the Academy of Sciences in Vienna . Vol. 93, 1943, pp. 269-280.
- Johannes Stroux : memorial speech for Hans Lietzmann. In: German Academy of Sciences (ed.): Yearbook of the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin 1946–1949. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1950, pp. 183–191.
- Kurt Aland (Ed.): The Splendor and Decline of the German University: 50 Years of German Scientific History in Letters to and from Hans Lietzmann (1892–1942). Verlag de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1979, ISBN 3-11-004980-5 (Hans Lietzmann's bibliography on pages 1194-1222).
- Carl Andresen : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 14, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-428-00195-8 , pp. 544-546 ( version ).
- Hans-Udo Rosenbaum: LIETZMANN, Hans. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 5, Bautz, Herzberg 1993, ISBN 3-88309-043-3 , Sp. 46-54.
- Wolfram Kinzig : Evangelical patrists and Christian archaeologists in the “Third Reich”. Three case studies: Hans Lietzmann, Hans von Soden, Hermann Wolfgang Beyer . In: Beat Näf (Hrsg.): Antiquity and Classical Studies in the Time of Fascism and National Socialism (= Texts and Studies in the History of Humanities. Vol. 1). edition Cicero, Mandelbachtal / Cambridge 2001, pp. 535-629.
- Wolfram Kinzig: Hans Lietzmann (1875–1942). In: Reinhard Schmidt-Rost, Stephan Bitter, Martin Dutzmann (eds.): Theology as mediation. Portraits of Bonn Protestant theologians of the 19th century (= work on the history of theology. Vol. 6). cmz. Rheinbach 2003, ISBN 3-87062-061-7 , pp. 220-231.
- Paul Meißner (Ed.): Alt-Herren-Directory of the German Singers. Leipzig 1934, p. 77.
- Johannes Stroux : Commemorative speech on Hans Lietzmann . In: German Academy of Sciences (ed.): Yearbook of the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin 1946–1949 . Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1950, pp. 183–191.
- Hans Lietzmann lecture on the website of the Berlin chairs for ancient Christianity. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Protestant theologian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 2, 1875|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dusseldorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 25, 1942|
|Place of death||Locarno|