Thein began his career at the then major league club TV Haßfurt , to which he returned after a detour to SG Siemens Erlangen in the 1961/62 season. He achieved his first successes as a youth when he won the Bavarian youth championship in 1955/56 and 1956/57. In 1961 he became Bavarian junior master in mixed with Heidi Weise.
In 1959 Thein was nominated for the individual competitions of the World Cup in Dortmund. Here he failed in the individual already in the qualifying round. The doubles with Horst Dörrbecker got into the second round without a fight, where it was eliminated by the Austrians Karl Wegrath / Hans Zankl .
Steinke also took part in the individual competitions at the 1962 European Championship in Berlin. In the singles he went one round by beating Christos Christodoulos (Greece). Then he lost to David Creamer (England). The doubles with Werner Kümmerle lost to the Swiss Mario Mariotti / Lajos Antal. In mixed he competed with Hanna Haering . With wins against Fernando Huecas / Ana Maria Navarro (Spain) and Hugo Urchetti / Franziska Hassler (Switzerland) they made it two rounds further, then the German couple Erich Arndt / Edit Buchholz were too strong.
His appearance at the International German Championships in Wolfsburg in 1964 was noticed because he defeated the Romanian Radu Negulescu 3-0 here. In 1967 he reached the semi-finals at the National German Championships in doubles with Herbert Neubauer .
In 1964 Thein left his hometown club TV Haßfurt and came to SG Hausham through the stations TTC Höchstadt (district league) (until 1970), Jahn Nürnberg (from 1970), TSV Milbertshofen (Bundesliga team 1966) and Hertha BSC in 1972, with whom he entered the 2 .Liga Bayern promotion. In 1984 Thein joined TV Miesbach, where he still plays in the district league today (2010).
Horst Thein was a postman by profession. He is married.
Results from the ITTF database
|FRG||World Championship||1959||Dortmund||FRG||Agony||last 64||no participants|
- DTS magazine , 1961/23 p. 9 + 1962/16 p. 5
- http://www.franken-online.de/SGS-TT/vereinsgeschichte.html (accessed on November 1, 2010)
- Table tennis archive by Hans-Albert Meyer (accessed on November 1, 2010; PDF; 89 kB)
- DTS magazine , 1971/5 p. 21
- http://www.sg-hausham.de/fileadmin/Dateien/hausham/pdf/Tischtennis_Saisonheft_2009-10.pdf - This is incorrectly referred to as the " 2. Bundesliga ". However, this was only founded in 1981. (accessed on November 1, 2010)
- http://www.tt-liga.de/spielbericht/302194 (accessed on November 1, 2010)
- ITTF statistics ( Memento of the original from June 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed on September 15, 2011)
- Hans Korn: Horst Thein - Two hours of training , DTS magazine , 1964/17 p. 6
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German table tennis player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 19, 1939|