In the cut
|German title||In the cut|
|Original title||In the cut|
|Country of production||
United States , United Kingdom ,
|Age rating||FSK 16|
|music||Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson|
|cut||Alexandre de Franceschi|
In New York City live English teacher Frannie observed a woman who a man in the toilet area of a bar oral sex . A little later, a woman's body is discovered in front of her house. It soon turns out that it is the girl watched by Frannie who is believed to have fallen victim to a serial killer . So she meets Detective Giovanni Malloy, who is investigating the case.
Frannie and Malloy start a relationship. One evening, Frannie is attacked on the street, but she can barely see the attacker. A little later another woman is murdered and shortly afterwards Frannie's half-sister Pauline, who is beheaded by the murderer . Frannie suspects her lover, in whose jacket, next to a weapon, she finds a piece of jewelry that was lost during the attack. Malloy claims he searched the street and found the piece after the attack, but Frannie escapes the apartment.
On the street, Frannie Malloys meets partner Rodriguez, who takes her to a lighthouse. There he makes her a marriage proposal. When he tries to strangle her, Frannie realizes he's the serial killer. She shoots him, they both fall to the ground, and with another shot she kills him. Splattered with blood, she returns to her apartment, where Malloy is waiting for her after she has left him, and falls into his arms.
- Film-Dienst : “A multi-faceted and allusive designed thriller, which expands the novel, which is entirely based on the crime genre, into an unusually complex study full of reflections and staging of sexual motifs and encounters. "
- Tages-Anzeiger of February 4, 2004: “ How Campion converts female desire between longing for love and hunger for sex, between romantic dreams and cold reality, that is outstanding cinema. The force of the thriller, which is less filthy, sloppy and pornographic compared to the literary original (and instead condenses the genre piece and enriches it with poetic moments), is based on both an exceptional cast and a sophisticated dramaturgy of tension. "
Dion Beebe won the Golden Tripod of the Australian Cinematographers Society in 2004 and was nominated for the Golden Frog of the Polish Camerimage Festival in 2003 . Jane Campion was nominated for the Golden Ear of the Semana Internacional de Cine de Valladolid in 2003 .
Nicole Kidman was originally intended for the role of Frannie Avery . Instead, she was responsible as the producer.
- In the Cut in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- In the Cut atRotten Tomatoes(English)
- In the Cut at Metacritic (English)
- Comparison of the cut versions R-Rated - Unrated by In the Cut at Schnittberichte.com