Maehder studied musicology , composition , philosophy , theater studies and opera directing in Munich and Bern. His doctorate took place in 1977 at the University of Bern with the dissertation sound color as a component of the musical sentence - on the critique of the concept of instrumentation .
Maehder then worked as an assistant at the German Historical Institute in Rome and as a scientific assistant to Stefan Kunze at the University of Bern . He held professorships in musicology at the University of North Texas ( Denton / TX) and at Cornell University ( Ithaca / NY). From May 1989 to September 2014 he succeeded Klaus Kropfinger as professor of musicology at the Free University of Berlin . Maehder founded the Puccini Research Center in Berlin in 1989 and the Fondo Leoncavallo at the Biblioteca Cantonale di Locarno (Ticino) in 1991. Since his retirement in Berlin, he has been teaching musicology at the Università della Svizzera italiana in Lugano / Ticino.
Maehder was visiting professor of musicology at the University of Maryland, College Park (1992), the University of North Texas in Denton / TX (1998) and the University of Hawaii at Mānoa (2008). Numerous visiting professorships also took him to the Republic of China / Taiwan. In addition to teaching at the Università della Svizzera italiana, he dedicates himself to his collaboration with the Salzburg Festival and his research in the Republic of China / Taiwan. In 2018 he was elected a member of the PEN Center for German-Speaking Authors Abroad .
Since 1973 he has devoted himself to practical theater work, first as assistant director at the Hamburg State Opera and the Bavarian State Opera in Munich, later mostly in Italy as a collaborator on Sylvano Bussotti's opera productions . Since the 1970s he has written numerous musicological essays for the programs of major opera houses, first for the Bavarian State Opera in Munich and the Bayreuth Festival , then since the 1980s for the Théâtre National de l'Opera de Paris and the Opéra National du Rhin / Strasbourg, the Teatro alla Scala / Milano, the Teatro La Fenice / Venezia, the Vienna State Opera and the Berlin State Operas ; Since 1992 numerous program booklet essays have been written for the Salzburg Festival . In February 1996 he designed a production of Giuseppe Verdi's Rigoletto at the Hawai'i Opera Theater in Honolulu / HI (premiere February 9, 1996).
Maehders publications were made primarily for opera history of the 19th and 20th centuries in Italy, France and Germany, the libretto history from the 18th to the 20th century, the production history of musical theater to Italian opera composer of Ottocento, the Verists (and especially Giacomo Puccini and Ruggero Leoncavallo ) as well as on the history of instrumentation and timbre composition and on musical aesthetics. Maehder discovered Franco Alfano's complete finale (based on Puccini's sketches) for Turandot in 1978 , which has been performed in various opera houses around the world since 1983. Together with Thomas Betzwieser , Maehder has been publishing the Perspektiven der Operaforschung series since 1994 .
- 1977 Tone color as a component of the musical movement - on the critique of the concept of instrumentation , dissertation, Bern 1977, private print.
- 1983 Turandot (in collaboration with Sylvano Bussotti ) , Pisa (Giardini) 1983.
- 1985 Esotismo e colore locale nell'opera di Puccini . Atti del Io Convegno Internazionale sull'opera di Puccini a Torre del Lago 1983, ed. Jürgen Maehder, Pisa (Giardini) 1985.
- 1993 Ruggero Leoncavallo nel suo tempo , Atti del I ° Convegno Internazionale di Studi su Leoncavallo a Locarno 1991, edd.Jürgen Maehder / Lorenza Guiot, Milano (Sonzogno) 1993.
- 1994 Between opera buffa and melodramma. Italian opera in the 18th and 19th centuries , "Perspektiven der Opernforschung I", ed. Jürgen Maehder / Jürg Stenzl , Frankfurt / Bern / New York (Peter Lang) 1994.
- 1995 Letteratura, musica e teatro al tempo di Ruggero Leoncavallo . Atti del II ° Convegno Internazionale di Studi su Leoncavallo a Locarno 1993, edd. Jürgen Maehder / Lorenza Guiot, Milano (Sonzogno) 1995.
- 1998 Nazionalismo e cosmopolitismo nell'opera tra '800 e' 900 . Atti del III ° Convegno Internazionale di Studi su Leoncavallo a Locarno 1995, edd. Jürgen Maehder / Lorenza Guiot, Milano (Sonzogno) 1998.
- 1998 Puccini's » Turandot « - Tong hua, xi ju, ge ju , Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 1998 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 957-98196-1-0 .
- 2001 (in collaboration with Virgilio Bernardoni, Michele Girardi, Arthur Groos, Roger Parker, Harold S. Powers, Peter Ross) Studi pucciniani , 2/2001, Lucca (Centro Studi Giacomo Puccini) 2001.
- 2003 Puccini's "Turandot" , Guilin (Guanxi Normal University Press) 2003 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo).
- 2003 Ai zhi si - Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" [ Liebestod ─ "Tristan und Isolde" by Richard Wagner ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2003 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 957-0443-79- 0 .
- 2004 Turandot de tui bian [ The Transformations of "Turandot" ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2004 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 986-7542-50-9 .
- 2005 Tendency della musica teatrale italiana all'inizio del Novecento. Atti del IV ° Convegno Internazionale di Studi su Leoncavallo a Locarno 1998 , edd. Jürgen Maehder / Lorenza Guiot, Milano (Sonzogno) 2005.
- 2006 »Duo mei a! Jin wan de gong zhu! «- Li cha shi te lao si de» Sha le mei « [ » How beautiful is the princess tonight! «-» Salome «by Richard Strauss ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2006 ( in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 986-7101-16-2 .
- 2006 Hua ge na - Zhi huan - Bai lu te , [ Wagner - "The Ring of the Nibelung" - Bayreuth ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2006 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 978-986-7101 -33-4 .
- 2010 Shao nian mo hao ─ Ma le de shi yi chuan yuan [= "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" ─ Gustav Mahler's poetic source ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2010 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 978-986 -6271-17-5 .
- 2011 "Da di zhi ge" ─ Ma le de ren shi xin shen [= "The Song of the Earth" ─ Synthesis of Gustav Mahler's Weltanschauung ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2011 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo) , ISBN 978-986-6620-44-7 .
- 2014 Ai zhi si ─ Wagner's “Tristan und Isolde” [ Liebestod ─ “Tristan and Isolde” by Richard Wagner ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2014 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 978-986-6620- 50-8 .
- 2015 Gaspare Spontini and the Opera in the Age of Napoléon , published in collaboration with Detlef Altenburg, Arnold Jacobshagen, Arne Langer and Saskia Maria Woyke, Sinzig (Studio-Punkt-Verlag) 2015, ISBN 978-3-89564-150-3 .
- 2017 Hua ge na yen jiou: Shen hua, Shi wen, Yue pu, Wu tai [ Richard Wagner: Myth, Poem, Score, Stage ], Taipei (Gao Tan Publishing Co.) 2017 (in collaboration with Kii-Ming Lo), ISBN 978-986-94383-4-6 .
-  Homepage at the PEN center for German-speaking authors abroad.
- Literature by and about Jürgen Maehder in the bibliographic database WorldCat
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musicologist and opera director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 22, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Duisburg|