Katerina Sakellaropoulou ( Greek Αικατερίνη Σακελλαροπούλου Ekateríni Sakellaropoúlou ; born May 30, 1956 in Thessaloniki ) is a Greek lawyer and President of the Hellenic Republic . From October 2018 to January 2020 she was President of the State Council , the highest administrative and constitutional court in Greece.
Katerina Sakellaropoulou studied law at the University of Athens , where she graduated in 1978. From 1989 to 1990 she attended postgraduate courses on constitutional and administrative law at the Panthéon-Assas University in Paris .
On October 17, 2018, Sakellaropoulou was elected President of the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece, after having been a member of it for years, as Vice-President since 2015. After her nomination as a candidate for the office of Greek President by the Greek Prime Minister and Chairman of the ruling Nea Dimokratia Kyriakos Mitsotakis on January 15, 2020, she resigned from her position as President of the State Council. On January 22, 2020, she was elected President by the members of the Greek Parliament with a large majority. On March 13, she took office as the successor to Prokopis Pavlopoulos . Sakellaropoulou is the first woman to hold this post.
- Christiane Schlötzer: A woman of progress as a possible new president. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung, January 18, 2020
- The President Katerina N. Sakellaropoulou. Presidency of the Hellenic Republic, accessed March 24, 2020 .
- Presentation on News.gr: Who is the first female president, Aikaterini Sakellaropoulou, of the CoE? , (Greek, accessed June 2, 2020)
- Μητσοτάκης: Ενωτική, υπερκομματική και προοδευτική η υποψηφιότητα Σακελλαροπούλου για ΠτΔ. ANA-MPA , January 15, 2020, accessed January 15, 2020 (Greek).
- Greek parliament elects women for the first time as President , Deutsche Welle, January 22, 2020
- Greece has a woman at the top for the first time - derStandard.at. Accessed March 14, 2020 (Austrian German).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Σακελλαροπούλου, Αικατερίνη (Greek)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek lawyer and judge at the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece, President of Greece|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 30, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Thessaloniki|