Art book publisher
An art book publisher is a book publisher that specializes exclusively in the production of titles on the visual arts and, in addition to books on art, also publishes catalogs, brochures and illustrated books.
The term was introduced in the 1970s and should not be confused with the term art publisher. As already stated in the definition in Grimm's German Dictionary from 1873, he only sells paintings and graphics and not books . It was not until the end of the 19th century that a segment for the art book publishing house emerged due to the growing market for illustrated books and reproductions on the one hand, and refined printing techniques on the other . In 1972 well-known West German publishers in the industry founded their own working and advertising group. In terms of organization, the art book publisher is part of the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels ; EA Seemann Verlag, Leipzig (since 1860) and Philipp von Zabern Verlag, Mainz (since 1802) are among the oldest publishers in this branch.
Important art book publishers in Germany
- Publishing house Philipp von Zabern (1802, Mainz)
- Schnell & Steiner publishing house (1933, Regensburg)
- EA Seemann Verlag (1860, Leipzig)
- German Art Publishing House (1921, Berlin and Munich)
- Prestel (1924, initially Frankfurt a. M., today headquarters in Munich and branches in London, New York and Berlin)
- Hatje Cantz Verlag (1945, 1990 Stuttgart)
- Hirmer Verlag (1948, Munich)
- Verlag der Kunst (1952, Dresden)
- DuMont Buchverlag (1956, Cologne)
- German publishing house for art history (1964, Berlin)
- Bookstore Walther König (1969, 1983 Cologne)
- Steidl (1972, Göttingen)
- English publisher (1973, Wiesbaden)
- Schirmer / Mosel Verlag (1974, Munich)
- TASCHEN (1980, Cologne)
- Kerber Verlag (1985, Bielefeld)
- Chorus Verlag (1995, Mainz)
- Kunstverlag Josef Fink (1996, Lindenberg im Allgäu )
- Michael Imhof Verlag (1996, Petersberg)
- The Green Box - Art Editions (2005, Berlin)
- The New Objectivity (2009, Lindlar )
- Distance Publishing (2010, Berlin)
- Geymüller Verlag for Architecture (2012, Aachen, Berlin)
- Sieveking Verlag (2013, Munich)
- Revolver Publishing (1998 in Frankfurt am Main)
Art book publishers in Austria
- Anton Schroll & Co. (1884, Vienna)
- Severin Corsten; Stephan Füssel; Günther Pflug; Friedrich Adolf Schmidt-Künsemüller (Hg.): Lexicon of the entire book system. second, completely revised edition. Volume IV. Stuttgart: Anton Hiersemann (1995), ISBN 3-7772-8527-7 , p. 363.
- Ursula Rautenberg (ed.): Reclam's dictionary of the book . Stuttgart: Philipp Reclam jun. (2003), ISBN 3-15-010520-X , p. 315.
- Simone Philippi: International Art Book Publishing. Internationalization concepts of German art book publishers since 1990 . Cologne Dissertation 2006. Online resource
- IG art book in the Börsenverein. In: boersenverein.de.
- German-language blog on the subject of 'art book'