Exchange Association of the German Book Trade
|Exchange Association of the German Book Trade
|1825 in Leipzig
|Frankfurt am Main
|Exchange Association of German Booksellers
|Representation of the interests of bookselling companies
The Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels is a registered association based in Frankfurt am Main , which represents the interests of all three levels of trade in the book trade ( publisher as manufacturer, intermediate book trade as wholesaler, retail book trade as distributing book trade).
The Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels is the successor organization to the Börsenverein der Deutschen Buchhandels , which was founded in Leipzig in 1825. Since its seat was in the Soviet occupation zone after the end of the Second World War, it was split off. In 1948 the Working Group of German Publishers and Booksellers Associations was founded in the American and British occupation zones and later renamed the Börsenverein Deutscher Verlager und Buchverkaufsverbände . In 1955, the association was given its current name as part of an amendment to the statutes. In 1972 personal membership was switched to institutional membership. In January 1991 the Leipzig Stock Exchange Association of German Booksellers was merged with the Stock Exchange Association of the German Book Trade.
Until the beginning of 2012, the association was located in Großer Hirschgraben 17-21 in Frankfurt am Main next to the Goethe House . Since February 2012, the association and its subsidiaries have had their headquarters at Braubachstrasse 16 in a building planned by the architect Otto Apel in 1956 , which had been converted with several buildings in the immediate vicinity by the architects Scheffler + Partner.
The association consists of the federal association as well as six legally independent regional associations and the regional office of North Rhine-Westphalia, which is legally part of the federal association. The annual general meetings of the federal association (in June in Berlin) and the regional associations (each spring) are the highest organs. The decisions for the entire association are made by the regional council, in which the board of the federal association and the chairmen of the regional associations are represented equally. The Börsenverein unites - unique in the world - all three trading levels under one roof. The organ of the association is the stock exchange journal for the German book trade that was published for the first time nine years after the association was founded . Membership is reserved for book retailers, publishers, publishing representatives and similar industry-related bodies. The number of members was 4,376 at the end of 2019 (as of December 31, 2019). The association assigns the so-called traffic number to the members . The international location number (ILN) offers an opening for international markets . The association has a quota of numbers for bookshops.
The association represents the interests of its members and promotes the fulfillment of the tasks of the producing, distributing and intermediate book trade. Its purpose is not directed towards an economic business operation.
Cultural and political activities
The Börsenverein organizes the Frankfurt Book Fair every year . Since 1950 he has awarded the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade . He is the ideal sponsor of the Leipzig Book Fair and awards the Leipzig Book Prize for European Understanding .
The Börsenverein awards the German Photo Book Prize and the German Book Prize for the Frankfurt Book Fair . The Bavarian State Association awards the Corine (literature prize) , the Hessian State Association the Hessen Book of the Year award .
Since 1959, the association has organized the reading competition of the German book trade and since 2001 the competition “Ear Reads Along”. The jury for the Alfred Kerr Prize is appointed by the Board of Directors of the Börsenverein. Since 2008, the Börsenverein, together with the Fritz Thyssen Foundation and the Foreign Office, has awarded works in the humanities and cultural sciences with the “Humanities International” prize. The prize money is used to translate the works into English.
Together with others, the association supports the Book Art Foundation . He is involved in the establishment of the German Library in Frankfurt am Main and is represented on the administrative and advisory boards. In 1952 he took over the bookselling school founded in Cologne in 1946, which is now called mediacampus frankfurt and is based in Frankfurt-Seckbach. The Börsenverein maintains its own specialist library for books and a historical archive and is involved in book market research . The Börsenverein also supports the Kurt Wolff Foundation , which awards the Kurt Wolff Prize, among other things.
On the political side, the association represents an offensive policy in the area of copyright law , with regard to the reduced sales tax rate , fixed book prices and the promotion of small and medium-sized enterprises. He deals with political lobbying and association political issues.
Business operations of the association
Politics and business are separated in the association. The Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbh (BBG) carries out the economic activities of the Börsenverein . This holding company is connected to the Börsenverein through the shareholders' meeting and the supervisory board. The MVB Marketing- und Verlagsservice des Buchhandels GmbH and the Ausstellungs- und Messe-GmbH (AuM) work here.
The association is a member of the International Publishers Union (IVU), the International Booksellers Association (IBV), the European Publishers Association (FEE) and the European Bookseller Federation (EBF). He is also a member of MedienCampus Bayern , the umbrella organization for media training and further education in Bavaria.
- The Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels 1825 to 2000 - A historical outline , ed. on behalf of the Historical Commission of Stephan Füssel , George hunter and Hermann dust in connection with Monika Estermann, booksellers association, Frankfurt am Main 2000, ISBN 3-7657-2297-9 .
- History of the German book trade in the 19th and 20th centuries . On behalf of the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels, ed. from the Historical Commission. Volume 1: The Empire 1871 to 1918. Part 1 , ed. by Georg Jäger in conjunction with Dieter Langewiesche and Wolfram Siemann , part 2 , ed. by Georg Jäger, KG Saur, Munich 2001 to 2003.
- Klaus-W. Bramann, C. Daniel Hoffmann, Peter Cremer: Commercial enterprise range . 4th edition. Bramann, Frankfurt am Main 2014, ISBN 978-3-934054-58-5 .
- Britta Schenk: The Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels in the political process: Effectiveness and influence in the mediation system of literary , [Hamburg] 1990, (Diploma thesis University of Hamburg, Institute for Political Science, 1990, IV, 110 pages, 30 cm, part of the library of the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels eV Frankfurt am Main).
- Michaela Nelz: History and task of the German book trade association , [Mainz] 1994, 1994 (Master's thesis University of Mainz, Department of Social Sciences 1994, 120 pages, 30 cm, part of the library of the German book trade association in Frankfurt am Main).
- Michael Kollmannsberger: Book market research as basic research and applied research: presented using the example of book market research by the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels in cooperation with the Allensbach Institute for Demoscopy from 1967 to 1988 , [Munich] 2000, (Dissertation University of Munich 2000, IV, 279 pages , 21 cm).
- A house for the book industry faz.net from February 2, 2012, accessed on March 31, 2019
- Opening speeches etc.
- Books promote ideas - Börsenverein.de. Accessed on November 13, 2019 (German).
- Börsenverein reports membership figures for 2019 , Börsenblatt , January 28, 2020, accessed on January 31, 2020.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels